Chapter Eighteen

——————————————————————————
Donna Blossom and Kira Kai were not friends. They did not dislike each other. At least, not yet. They just were not close.

Now, you might be a bit surprised by that. The two women were with each other almost every day. The exception would be the weekend.

Donna and Kira had the same job. At the same factory.

The factory was a "special" place - not that special, considering that most people who worked their hardest only got paid less than minimum wage - where you had to build things, such as computers and phones. Basically, anything that has to do with advanced technology.

Donna was not like most of the population today. She had no interest in technology and did not even own one of those advanced cellphones. Instead, she had a small phone that can only be used for calling. She did not like social media and had trouble texting.

Kira, on the other hand, thought that technology was a wonderful gift, and this was partly because she came from a wealthy family who did not mind buying expensive devices.

Unlike Donna, she had always gotten the latest phones. She also owned three high-tech computers and four gaming systems.

And no, ladies and gentlemen. Kira was not snobby. Surprisingly, she taught herself how to be respectful towards others and treated everybody with kindness. Most of the time, she donated a bunch of her family's money to charity.

That was one of the main reasons why Donna and Kira clicked when they first met. The other reason was because they were in opposite situations.

We already explained that Kira had a wealthy family. In fact, the only reason that she was getting a job was to receive more money to donate to her favorite charities.

But what about Donna?

Recall that they are the opposite of each other. So the opposite of rich is poor.

Now, let us make it clear that Donna is not even close to being poor. She and her family are not poor. They do have enough money to buy both the essentials and nonessentials, but lately, her mom and dad had been struggling with getting some more money.

They were receiving less and less, and that was why Donna was stepping up to the plate. She thought that if she got a job, she could earn money to help put food on the table.

She went all over town, hoping to find some business that was hiring. Alas, the only place in her hometown was the factory.

At first, she refused to work there. But immediately after that, she thought about her parents and how they desperately needed money.

She had to take the job. She had to work at the factory. For her family.

So she did. And even though that she hated it, she was just happy that she was making money. Though, it was not much.

It was not long before the the two women met each other in person. They got along well. They never became friends, however, they worked together pretty well.

Like it was stated earlier, both were assigned to the same job, and it was a pretty easy job to do. Probably even the laziest person could do it.

The girls were to make sure that the machines that were building a few things and the conveyor belts ran smoothly. If something went wrong or one completely stopped working, they had to fix it. Yep. The two girls. They also had to inspect the stuff that the machines put together before sending them out for delivery.

Yes, it was a lot, but Donna and Kira managed to handle all of it with no problems. Even their boss was impressed by them and offered them a promotion.

But as you know, things do come to an end.

It was a couple of weeks before the big move. Donna, her husband, and her son were moving to Forlot. Little Amy was not born at the time.

She and her husband, Bill, thought that it was time for a fresh start. What better way to do that than moving to a completely different town that you probably have never been to before?

Donna notified her boss in advance and informed Kira about the big change that was coming. Kira was sad to see her go, but wished for the best.

So it was lunchtime, and poor Donna. She forgot her lunch.

This was unusual because she never forgot her lunch. She always ate a peanut butter sandwich. It was her favorite.

Donna sat down at a table. Kira was next to her and eating a plate of mashed potatoes.

Donna eyed all the food that Kira brought and licked her lips.

It was like a buffet! There were all kinds of food. You name it. Chances are that it was there.

Lying on the table and between the girls was a sandwich. But not just any sandwich. Peanut butter.

Donna could not resist the temptation and tapped on Kira's shoulder. "Kira?"

Kira faced her and swallowed the food that she had been chewing on. "Yeah? What is it?"

She pointed at the sandwich that was in a plastic bag. "Could I have this sandwich? You see, I did not bring my lunch, and you have plenty—"

Kira cut her off. "No."

She was surprised by her answer. "You...you are not going to let me have this sandwich?"

"Nope. Sorry. I am eating that next." She turned her attention back to her mashed potatoes.

Donna watched her eat the mashed potatoes, and then looked back down at the sandwich.

She knew what she had to do.

Minutes after lunch, Kira confronted her. She was ticked.

"How dare you eat my sandwich!" she screamed. "I know that we are not friends, but I thought that you were better than that!"

"I was hungry..." Donna defended her action.

"I do not care! You stole my food. You are going to pay."
——————————————————————————