Chapter Six

Our biological mom got up and handed me back Little Amy. My sister kicked with her little legs and thrashed her tiny arms, however, it was not because she was upset or trying to get me to give her back to Mom so that she would be in her loving arms.

Even though that my baby sister was unable to say much, she clearly understood every word that came from our own mother's mouth. When she realized that Mom was giving her a doll, she became excited and could not wait to see and play with the new doll.

"Follow me, Jackson," Mom said, motioning for me to go where she was heading. "I know that I recently opened this store, but I know where everything is. From the designer plates to rare collections."

Without any hesitation, I was right behind her, carrying Amy and keeping close to our mom. It was like a dream come true for me and my little sister, and I always had dreams. Well, same dream. Different places.

In my dreams, I would be at places that are familiar to me, like home, school, and hangouts. I would either be alone or with my best friend. But the same thing would always occur.

Mom. My own mother. She would be standing or sitting near those places and surveying her surroundings. It was like that she was searching for something. No. Someone. Me.

When I would spot her in the distance, I would forget everything that was happening around me and focus all my attention on her and only her. Then I would run to her and hug her, wrapping my arms around her.

My mom's response was always the same. She would giggle and hug me back. That was how all the dreams ended, and every time that I woke up from them, I would cry for a bit, wishing that those dreams were real.

But no. She was not with us. She was not living in our home. Not anymore.

However, seeing her in an antique store...I should have guessed.

For as long as I could remember, Mom has always been fascinated by antiques. Basically anything that holds value, whether it has a story behind it or costs lots of money. From time to time, she would keep telling me, Amy, and Dad how she had a desire to open up her own little shop here in the town of Forlot. Dad did not care, but I encouraged her and even helped her raise money so that she could buy a location in the shopping center. That is where the antique store is now.

I decided to ask her some questions. "Mom?"

"Yes, Jackson?" she said. We turned and made our way down an aisle.

"Why did you return to Forlot? I thought that you could not stand being here with us. Your family. Well, really Dad. Amy and I love you no matter what."

She clasped her hands together and let out a whoosh of air. "That is a long story. Shall I give you the short version?"

"Whatever you think is best. I do not care. I am just overjoyed that we are reunited."

"And we will be reunited. Forever."

I was about to ask her my second question when she stopped. I came to a halt and came up next to her.

A large glass case was perched on a tall and wide table, and both the table and the glass case were shiny. It was as if they had been polished.

Turns out, they were polished. Stacy was standing in front of the case, her back facing us. She had a spray bottle in one hand and was wiping the table with a cloth.

Mom gently tapped Stacy's shoulder, and Stacy gasped and spun around, seeing us. She let out a sigh of relief and put the hand that was holding the cloth over her chest.

"My gosh. You nearly gave me a heart attack," Stacy remarked. "Jeez."

Mom giggled and crossed her arms. "You cannot have a heart attack, Stacy. You are still young and take good care of yourself. You exercise and eat healthy."

"...okay. I am not sure how you know that."

"You told me."

"Really? When?"

"When you applied for this job."

She slapped her hand against her forehead, the cloth hitting the side of her face. "Silly me. You are right." She tapped her foot. "Boy, I am dumb."

"You are not dumb, Stacy. If you were, I would not have hired you."

"So...I would become dumb if I was not hired?"

She patted her back. "It was only a joke. I am not serious. You are a bright and intelligent girl. You are not like...other people."

"Oh. Well...thanks."

"You may take your lunch break now. I am going to show my children our latest item."

Stacy's eyes moved to the glass case. There was a doll standing up in it. The doll had long, brown hair and was wearing a purple, short-sleeved dress with purple socks and purple shoes. She was in perfect condition and looked beautiful.

Her eyes moved back to Mom. "Are you sure? That doll...it gives me the creeps."

Mom was surprised at this. "But the doll looks cute. No. She is cute."

"I am sorry, ma'am. I normally love any dolls and puppets. But that doll...I do not know. It is giving me a bad vibe."

With that, she walked past us and up the aisle.

Mom shrugged and pulled a silver key out of her pocket. She shoved it into the keyhole, unlocking the glass case. She put the key back in her pocket and opened the glass door.

"Here is your doll, Amy," she said as she grabbed ahold of the doll and pulled it out.

I began breathing heavily when I heard a familiar voice.

Kira's voice. And it sounded like that it was in the shop with us.