Chapter Thirty-Five

My eyes fluttered open, and I let out a yawn and stretched. As I stretched, the covers on my bed fell off and onto the floor. No. Onto the sleeping bag.

I leaned over and grabbed ahold of the covers. I was about to apologize to Jade and pull back the covers when I noticed that something was not right.

"Jade?" I lifted up the sheets - and realized that my suspicion was correct.

She was not in the sleeping bag. She was gone.

Worried that she might have wandered out of the house, I scrambled out of bed and got dressed. I put on my usual clothing, my red, short-sleeved shirt, jeans, socks, and black and grey sneakers and hurried down the stairs.

I reached the bottom and began my search for Jade, hoping that she was still in the house. I thankfully did not have to search for long, for I found her in the kitchen.

Jade was standing in front of the kitchen counter and grasping the sides of a glass. There was no liquid in the glass, so I wondered why she had it in the first place. Maybe she was about to pour some liquid in.

Making sure to not scare her, I crept into the kitchen.

"Ja—"

I was cut off by a loud explosion. The shatter of glass.

I stayed still and shielded my face. I was now worried if Jade was hurt.

"Jackson? What are you doing here?"

I opened my eyes and lowered my arms and hands. And there, I saw Jade. Looking at me. With no cuts on her body.

So if she was not hurt, why were there tears flowing from her eyes?

"Never mind," Jade said. She embraced me in a hug and burst out crying. "Oh, Jackson! I am so sorry!"

"Sorry?" I blushed and hugged her back. "Why are you sorry? Is it because of the glass shattering? Did you accidentally drop it?"

"I...I did not drop it. I used my powers...to make it break apart. I did not mean to, Jackson! I swear!"

"Your...powers?"

"I also trashed the living room." She hugged me tighter. "I-I was just trying to control my powers..."

I pulled her away from me. "Show me the wrecked room."

She took my hand into hers and led me to the living room. And...it was not as bad as I thought.

Yeah, it was a mess, but nothing was broken or destroyed. Things were either scattered all over the floor or flipped over.

"It is not that bad," I confessed to her. "Nothing that we cannot fix."

She hugged me again. "I need help, Jackson. Real help. Not like the 'help' that Dr. Maxwell gave me."