Chapter Four

"Young man, if you do not mind me asking, why are you curious as to what the name of my boss is?" the lady asked me, bringing me back to fictional reality. "Is she a friend of yours or related to you in some way?"

I was so shocked that my and Amy's biological mother was here in this very store that I was unwilling to speak. I just stood there with my mouth open.

The lady seemed to be getting concerned about me and said, "Sir? Are you feeling like yourself?"

As if her kind, gentle voice snapped me out of it, I shook my head rapidly, shaking away any distracting thoughts and wiped off sweat that had appeared on my forehead.

"I am sorry," I apologized. "I was in a daze, Miss..."

"Miss Davidson. But you may call me by my first name. Stacy."

"Ah. Okay, Stacy."

Stacy had long, black hair that was straightened out with no curls in sight. On her head was a dark purple cap, and she wore a short-sleeved shirt that matched her hat.

Little Amy had her precious eyes on me and cried, "Mama!" Then she nibbled on my ear. I chuckled as she did that, for it tickled. My ears were her favorite to suck on. More so than candy.

"Is she your kid?" Stacy asked. "Your daughter?"

I could feel that my cheeks were blazing red as she stated that. She really believed that Amy was my daughter and not my sister. What did she think that I was? An old man with white hair? Also, I decided long ago that I was uninterested in having kids. Yeah, I know that I said that I love playing with Amy, but if I had to do it full time, I would go insane.

"You are mistaken, Stacy," I said as politely as I could. "She is my baby sister."

She became embarrassed. "Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. I just thought—"

"It is okay. No harm done. You would not believe how many people in this town first assumed that my sister was my daughter."

"Well, that makes me feel a bit better. Do you mind if I gave her a pat on the head?"

"Sure. Just be gentle."

"Absolutely. I am always gentle towards babies."

Stacy patted the top of her little head, her palms and fingers making contact with the tiny hairs, and Amy laughed and held up her little feet, showing them off to us.

I smirked and tickled the bottoms of her feet, which caused her to laugh even harder. "Yes, Amy. I have seen those feet of yours."

"I have not," Stacy remarked. "And what adorable feet." She rested her arms on the countertop and leaned forward. "Why did she say the word 'mama' earlier? Did your mother tag along?"

I sighed heavily and slowly shook my head. "It is about time that I told you why I specifically wanted that woman's name whom I saw two minutes ago."

"Okay." She rested her head in her hands. "Go ahead. I am all ears."

"Donna Blossom-Stanford...is my mom."

She was taken aback by this and covered her mouth with a hand. Then she squealed and uncovered her mouth.

"You lucky duck! Your mother is my boss. So that means that...you and your sister are my bosses too. Well, kind of."

"Amy and I have not seen her in months."

"Hmm? Why is that? Of course, if you do not mind me asking."

"Well...it is a long story."

"There are no customers in here, and my boss - your mother - is in the back. So quick. Tell me the story. Please?"

"Alright, alright. But it is going to be sad."

"But it has a happy ending..."

From the corner of my eye, I spotted the woman, the same woman whom I saw through the window walking over to the counter. She stopped and stared at us. First at me and Amy. Then at Stacy. And then back at us. Unfortunately, Stacy did not notice that she was there.

"...because you will reunite with your mom!"

"Stacy?" the woman spoke up. There was shakiness in her voice, and I did not have to guess why. "Why are you chatting with these...children and not working?"

Stacy let out a gasp and turned to her. She opened her mouth to respond, but no sound came out. She was surprised that her boss had caught her in the act.

The woman was holding a cup and sighed. "I will excuse you this time, Stacy. Just...just go and organize the dolls."

"Yes, ma'am," Stacy finally said something. "By the way, these children—"

"I know. I can see them. I have eyes of my own. Now go. And...please also dust each and every doll. Those dolls need to be in perfect condition when we sell them. No dust allowed."

"Right away, ma'am." With that, she hurried around the counter and down one of the aisles, leaving me and my sister alone with our biological mother.

The hand that Mom was holding her cup in was shaking. She set the cup on the counter. "Jackson? Amy?"

From the looks in her eyes, I could tell that she never forgot about us. That she had been stressed because she had a desire to see us both.

She dropped to her knees. "Jackson. Amy. It is you." She welcomed us with open arms. "Come here, my darling kids."

I did not attempt to hold back tears and ran to her. I could only hug her with one arm because I was holding my baby sister with the other. Mom hugged me back and sniffed.

"My children. My beautiful children." She pulled away, ending the hug, and picked up Little Amy. "Hi, sweetheart. I missed you."

"We missed you too," I answered for Amy. "And we never want to leave you."

Surprisingly, something definitely made us leave her.