Chapter Forty-Three

I should not have been suspicious that Mom wanted all three of us to make a trip to the restrooms. After all, it is completely normal for people to visit the bathroom from time to time. But...the way that she said it...creeped me out. It did not sound sweet or encouraging. It was more of an order.

"Mom? Why should we go to the restrooms?" I allowed Amy to play with my hand and fingers.

"You are asking me why?" Mom questioned me.

"Yes."

"Ah. Well, I need to do my business. I have been here for over an hour, and my flight is almost ready. I suggest that we go if we do not desire to cause a scene on the plane."

"Hmm..." I thought for a moment. "...you are right, Mom. Sorry for doubting you."

Her smile grew wide, and she held out her hand for me to take. "No need to apologize, Jackson. Just come with me."

My eyes locked on her palm, and I was about to latch onto her hand, when I was roughly pulled away.

"Ah! Hey!" I cried.

I was spun around. Kira. My dad. Milo. And Jade. Dad was the one who had pulled me, and I was now facing all four of them.

I narrowed my eyebrows and could feel the anger bubbling up inside of me. So it should not have been a shock to you readers that I raised my voice...a bit.

Okay, more than a bit.

"What are you doing here?! Can you not see that you have done enough damage?!"

"Jackson. Donna is—" Dad started, but I interrupted him.

"Stop! Stop it! I am tired of your excuses and have had enough of your lies! Amy and I are going with Mom - Donna, not Kira - and you will have no choice but to accept that!"

"But Jackson—" I interrupted Kira as well.

"I do not even need to ask Donna if she is my mother. I know that she is." I gave Mom one of my sweet smiles. "Right, Mom?"

Mom's bottom jaw was quivering. Finally, she said, "Jackson...I am so sorry. I am not your mother."