Chapter Thirty-Eight

I was in a panic. I scooted over to one of the walls and leaned my back against it. If it were possible - and it probably was - my heart would have leaped out of my chest, grown a pair of legs, and ran off.

My best friend noticed my discomfort and scrambled to his feet. He helped me up and wrapped an arm around my shoulders to keep me from falling.

"Jackson? Are you alright?" Jade asked. Fear was hidden within her voice. "Did your folks give you a panic attack?"

"No, they gave him a heart attack," Milo said sarcastically. "Duh."

As I figured, she did not think that was sarcasm and started freaking out.

"Do not just stand there! Call 911!"

"There is no 911 here in Forlot. It is 777. And he does not have a heart attack. You were right. It is nothing more than a minor panic attack."

Jade pointed a finger at him and scolded him. "I will have you know that both panic attacks and anxiety attacks are anything but minor. When you have either one, it feels as if you are dying."

I was afraid that they would not get along. Little did they know that was not the reason why I was panicking.

"You guys!" I said, finally finding my voice. "My folks, if you can even call them that, are the least of our problems. Amy is!"

I pointed at my baby sister, and there she was. Standing up. Standing on her tiny feet.

Standing on the ledge of the open window.