Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Wah!"

The three of us were taken aback by my sister's outburst and instantly forgot about the Lubriem for a while. We were now focused on her.

"Oh, no. What is wrong with her?" Jade asked. "Did I say something to upset her?"

"I do not think so," I replied. "I will ask her." I held up my baby sister in front of my face. "Cutie pie? What is the matter? Why are you sad?"

Little Amy was kicking with her little legs. "Me sad!"

"But why?"

She sniffed and spat out gibberish. She usually does that when she does not know why she is upset.

Milo moved closer to us, sat down, and crossed his legs. He gently held Amy's little hand.

"Amy," he said quietly. "You know that your brother and I do not understand gibberish." He looked at Jade. "Do you...understand gibberish?"

"No, but she may be having trouble telling us exactly why she is in this state."

"It is okay. I already know what it is." I set my sister on the floor. "She is most definitely sad, but she has no idea why. She is just...sad."

Milo narrowed his eyebrows. "That does not make any sense. How can you be unhappy if you do not know what is causing you to be that way?"

"You silly boy," Jade called him as she picked up Little Amy and cradled her. "People are like that lots of times. And I know that for sure because...I have been in the same situation more than once throughout my life. Even when I was a doll."

"Huh. You think that you are so smart." My best friend does not like when somebody other than me corrects him. He says that it makes him feel dumb.

"Yes, but in no way am I a genius." She held out an open hand. "You must be Milo. I am Jade."

He shook hands with her. "How did you know my name? Besides the fact that Jackson blurted out my name minutes ago."

"She is one of the human girls who was transformed into a doll," I explained to him. "She was missing her arm. I attached it to the rest of her, and she transformed back into a real human."

"Even with our wooden ears, we could hear you clearly," Jade stated, massaging Amy's little belly. We heard everything. From the moment that you ventured to the basement..."
——————————————————————————
When we reached the bottom, we took in our new surroundings.

The basement was huge, but it was basically empty. There were only two shelves on either side and a table in the middle.

The table was long and narrow. It was made of wood, and there was nothing on it.

The shelves were against the walls and also made from wood. However, there were plenty of things on them. Toys. Books. Though, most of them were dolls and parts of them.

Gabi covered her glassy eyes, and Vincent kept her close to him.

"This is a horror movie...for dolls," she commented.

"You can say that again," Mom said.
——————————————————————————
"...to now. And we heard each and every word. Anyway..." She smiled at the baby. "What can we do, Amy, to make you feel better?"

Amy reached for her precious feet.

"Oh? You want your feet? Or do you want the socks to be taken off?"

The baby girl shifted her head in my direction. "Sing!"

"What is that? You would like me to sing to you? Um...I am afraid that—"

"Brother sing!"

I sighed and chuckled. "I knew that she was going to say that, Jade. She loves when I sing."

In a soft tone, I sang her favorite song to her.

"I am a Terta,
I am half-human,
Half-monster,
I am a Terta,
I act like a human when I am a monster,
I am a Terta,
I am a monster when I act like a human,
I do not know what is wrong with me,
Oh, wait,
I am a Terta,

There are some things,
I can do,
That a human can do,
There are some things,
I can do,
That a monster can do,
And there are some things that I cannot do,
That humans can do,
And monsters do,
But that does not matter,

'Cause I am a Terta,
I am a Terta,
I am a Terta,
I am half-human,
Half-monster,
I am a Terta,
Yeah, a Terta,
I am a human,
And I am a monster,

And I belong
Where do I belong?,
Where do Tertas belong?,
Where do I belong?"

When I was done, Amy yawned and snuggled against Jade.

"Awe," Jade said. Then she panicked. "I should not be holding her." She handed her back to me. "I really should not."

"Nonsense," I said. "You are more than welcome to hold her."

"No. I really cannot. What if my powers get out of control?"

"Powers?" Milo questioned.

I got up, went to the crib, and set Little Amy in it. "That did not stop you from hugging and clinging onto me."

As soon as I said, she blushed.

"That is different." She climbed to her feet. "She is a baby, and you are...you."

"So...you are not concerned about accidentally using your powers on me?"

"Yes! No! Ugh! I do not know!" Jade held the sides of her head. "I hate my powers! I wish that they would go away!"

Objects in the room floated up and began spinning around. Like a tornado!

"Ah!" Milo cried as he floated.

I grabbed ahold of him and tried my best to staying on the ground.

"Jade!" I called out. "You need to calm down! Now!"

"I-I cannot! I—"

The doorbell rang, and Milo and the objects fell to the ground. I heard a familiar voice.

"Jackson! Your dad and I know that you are in there. We need to talk. Please."

No, no, no. Not her. Not Kira!