Chapter Twenty-Seven

She did not have to explain that the broken dolls that had been hiding in the basement were actually humans. I came to the realization seconds before the explanation.

My stomach churned, and my eyes widened when I felt one of the worst feelings that you could ever get. I had to cover my mouth and tried keeping my food down in my stomach. Thankfully, I did not make a recent mess on the basement floor.

Unlike me, Milo, Gabi, and Vincent were not taking this seriously. They assumed that Mom was playing a joke on them.

"Very funny, Donna," Milo said.

Mom raised an eyebrow and pointed a finger at the talking doll and dummy. "You do realize that there are two toys who are alive," she reminded him.

"Of course. I am not stupid."

"Why do you not believe me? Or in this case, the book? Those lifeless dolls used to be young girls. Humans. Now that they are broken, they are dead."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, Donna, but meeting a doll and dummy who can walk and talk is more believable than that."

"As much as I am not fond of your son's friend because he frankly is an idiot..." Gabi started.

He glared at her. "Hey!"

"...I have to agree with him."

My mother marked the page with a bookmark that was already in the book and flipped through some more. "I figured that you would say that, considering that you are a doll yourself."

Vincent spoke. "I get...that Kira...is a killer. But why...would she...turn human girls...into dolls?"

"Easy. So she can kill them, Vincent. She can do whatever she wants with them and does not have to worry about bloody messes. It is extremely disturbing."

Gabi Dollson jumped off the table. "I am out of here," she announced. "This all is too stupid. Even for me."

She was about to leave when something wrapped itself around her wooden arm. A hand. A wooden hand.

A doll had climbed off one of the shelves and was now by Gabi. Her hair was in tangles, and she was missing an arm and leg.

"Save you...I must save you..." the creepy doll rasped. "...before you end up like me..."