Chapter Eight

Little Amy burst out crying, and Mom snatched back the doll and returned it to her daughter.

"What the heck was that?" our mom shot at Kira. "How dare you take a child's toy. Especially a baby's."

"It is not her toy," Kira shot back. "I have not bought it for her."

"Kira, I was going to buy it," I stated out loud for both ladies to hear. "I told you to not come."

She tilted her head down to me. "But I was worried about you and Amy. I thought that you guys would get lost somewhere."

"Get a clue, woman. I am a big boy." I said the next part without thinking. "I do not need you."

She did not respond, and I could see that she was holding back tears as she placed a hand on her cheek.

Did I hurt her feelings?

"You know what? This boy is correct," Mom said. "He does not need you. And if he does not need you, then the baby certainly does not need you."

Kira frowned at our mom as she kept fighting back the tears. "You do not know me, and you certainly do not know these kids."

"Well, I do now." She gently pushed me and Little Amy aside and put her hands on her hips. "They do not need a mom who takes children's toys away without doing it gently. They do not need a mother who is worried about them and will not let them do things that they are capable of doing." She tilted her head to the side. "You see what I am saying? You are just not a good mother to them."

"How..." She sniffed. "...how do you know?"

"I am...I am a woman who would give anything to have kids. But I cannot."

Kira raised her eyebrows. "You mean...you cannot have kids of your own?"

"No."

"I am sorry to hear that. Maybe...maybe you could consider adoption."

It was Mom's turn to frown, and she pointed to the front door. "Get out."

She blinked a couple of times. "E-excuse me?"

"Get out. All of you. Get out of my store. Now."

"But...we did not do anything wrong."

"I swear that I will call the police from the next town if you and these children are not out!"

I could see that Kira was shaken by Mom's outburst.

"Okay, okay. We will leave. Jeez." She picked up Amy, took the doll, and laid it on a shelf nearby. "Come on, Jackson."

My face saddened, and I looked down at my shoes. I wanted me and Amy to stay with our real mom, but...

I felt a soft object slip into my hand and raised my hand to my face. It was a small piece of paper, and I glanced at my mom.

Mom was holding the doll and gave it to me. She winked at me as I exited her store.

As I followed behind Kira, I unfolded the paper and saw some writing. This is what it said:

"Come back and see me, Jackson. And bring your sister too. Also, the doll is free of charge."

It did not tell me who wrote this note, but I had already guessed who. Mom.

Since when did she have time to write the note?