Chapter: 15

(Jem's P.O.V)

Jem and the others ran through the woods as fast as they could. Boo was coming closer, so they had no other choice but to leave the fire going and run. Jem tried to follow behind Tom and Atticus, but they were pretty fast. Aunt Alexandra and Calpurnia were beside Jem, making sure he didn't fall behind. Nathan and Bob were in the back, making sure no one fell behind. Then someone screamed. Jem turned around and froze. There was a large lizard-like tongue around Nathan. Jem knew who it belonged to. The boy watched as the tongue drew back, bringing Nathan with it. Jem couldn't move, he couldn't do anything. The tongue went all the way back into Boo' mouth. Jem flinched when he heard a scream, and then a wet crunch. A small red dot dropped on Jem's arm and he looked up. Boo, who had blood running off his mouth, smiled at him. "Run." His voice boomed. Then Jem ran, they all did, and Boo walked behind them. He reached down, with his hand, and picked up Calpurnia. He quickly ate her, but nothing like what he did to Nathan. They still continued to run, but finally Boo left them alone. Jem guessed he liked playing this game of Cat and Mouse. Only: Atticus, Tom, Bob, Aunt Alexandra, and Jem were left now. Now what were they supposed to do?