Chapter: 21

(Jem's P.O.V)

Jem looked at Atticus, who was just now standing up. He had blood running down the side of his face, and Jem could feel a cut on his own arm and cheek. Atticus crawled over to Jem and led him into the corner. He shoved Jem into the corner and sat in front of him, as of Atticus alone could protect Jem. He could hear a fire burning somewhere and hoped the train wouldn't explode. Time crawled by slowly and Jem found himself holding his breath. He couldn't stand the suspense. Then again, maybe Boo left. Atticus seemed to have the same idea. "I'm going to check if he's still here." He suggested.  

     "Atticus no." Jem whispered. "You can't."

     "I'll be fine." Atticus said.

     Jem walked outside of the train. It took a lot to persuade Atticus to let him check. Right when he stepped outside he heard the sound of metal ripping. He looked up to see Boo ripping off the side of the train. "Hey! Over here!" Jem found himself saying and waving his arms. Boo looked up at him and scoffed. Then he reached his hand into the train. "I'm right here! Don't ya see me?!" Jem waved his arms more frantically, hoping Boo would come for him instead. Jem froze when he watched Boo lift Atticus up. He knew he couldn't do anything now.

    "Jem, run!" Atticus warned. "Just run!" Then Boo ate Atticus, leaving Jem next. Boo swallowed then looked at Jem with a sickening smile.

     "Better follow your Daddy's last request." Boo warned.

     "Just eat me already! We both know you will in the end!" His outburst didn't seem to surprise Boo, who only laughed. Jem was confused. "What?"

    "It's not the same if you don't run." Boo said, then reached for Jem, who quickly jumped out of the way. "See? That's better." Boo laughed. Jem took this chance and ran. But he could still hear Boo laughing at him.