Chapter: 20

(Jem's P.O.V)

Jem and Atticus finally arrived back into Maycomb County. They went to their home and got what little food was left. They searched for any survivors, but found none. With this on their minds, they headed for the train station.

      It was no suprise that no one was there. Word got around quickly in Maycomb, especially if it was about a giant monster eating everyone. "Atticus, I think they're all gone." Jem said. Atticus didn't say anything. "What do we do now?" Jem asked.

     "We'll have to drive the train ourselves." Atticus said and began to walk to the front of the train. Jem stood for a minute then ran to catch up to him.

    "We can't drive a train, sir. We don't know how." He said as he caught up.

     "We don't have a choice." Atticus said. There was the sound of several bird's calling, the two Finches looked up to see a flock of birds flying away from the woods. The two stopped and watched.

     "He's coming, isn't he?" Jem asked. Atticus breathed deeply and continued to head to the front of the train.

     "Yes son. He is."

     It didn't take long for Jem to find the manual to the train. As he read it out loud, Atticus did his best to control the train. Then there it was: another stupid thump! Boo was here! Jem cursed and stopped reading. Atticus lectured him for his language, but Jem didn't pay attention. There was a loud bang and the train was hit off the tracks. Jem and Atticus fell to the floor as the train rolled a bit. Jem cursed again, but it was too loud for Atticus to hear. Then the train stopped rolling and all was still.