-chapter 1: SHIELD-

May 10th, 2013

"Excused?" Loki repeated a bit confused. Thor sighed in slight annoyance and looked away from his brother. "Father said we were needed elsewhere. Nick Fury called us back to Earth," Loki grinned lightly. "We?" He asked with a light chuckle. Loki seemed to be amused by the news, unlike Thor. Thor stared at his brother through the yellow-orange barrier. "I'm sorry, but a few weeks ago I was invading Earth and now I'm in the dungeon. So the only question is why would you want me back?" Loki asked. Thor was irritated. "Get up from your damn bed and talk to me face to face," He demanded in a booming voice. Loki, who had been laying on his bed whilst not even looking at his brother, sighed. 

Suddenly a mirage of Loki appeared before the glass. "Better?" Asked the mirage curiously. "Loki, I think you've forgotten that I can lift this barrier and make you listen," Thor sneered as he looked past the mirage. "And I think you've forgotten, brother mine, that as soon as you do that I will escape," Loki shot back, never even glancing up. Thor glanced at the amused mirage of Loki. "Get rid of that thing, will you?" He asked Loki. Within the same second, the mirage faded away only leaving a green shine behind. "You still didn't answer my question," Loki reminded Thor. "Why?" He reasked. 

"I don't know why. Father called it redemption," Thor explained. "Redemption for what?" Loki asked nonchalantly. "I don't need to redeem anything," Thor looked to the side, seeing all the other prison cells. The brother he knew didn't belong down here with all these criminals. But then again, the brother he knew was long gone. "Loki, consider this. If you help us out, I'll make sure you'll never enter this prison cell ever again," Thor suggested. Loki stared at the ceiling. Of course, he'd love to get out of his cell. But at what cost?  "It's up to you. I am to leave in an hour and if you decline, I will leave you alone forever," Thor sternly told him. Loki softly sighed as he rolled his eyes to the back of his head, trying to think. Finally, he rose up from his bed and looked at Thor. "Alright," He said and straightened his coat. "Lead the way," 

"There were some-" professor Payton struggled to find the right words. "-mild problematic issues concerning the transaction," He explained to his supervisor through the phone. "You couldn't have cared to inform me this 9 years ago?" The supervisor asked in a low voice. "Sir, everything was going great with her and I thought I had miscalculated," Payton said. "Her intelligence in technology and hacking is undeniable," The professor explained as he paced back and forth. "Right, that's all that we have ever required from her. What's the big problem?" The supervisor asked. 

"Well," The professor sighed. "Her social comprehension is weak," He admitted. "And?" The supervisor asked. "Are you sure we should send her to S.H.I.E.L.D?" Payton asked. "Why not?" The supervisor asked. "This mission is crucial and she won't be able to act like an actual agent," Payton explained a bit nervous. "That's perfect, isn't it?" The supervisor said. "Wait, what?" Payton asked. "If she is socially awkward, won't that be less suspicious? Especially if she's working with all these superheroes," The supervisor said. "Yes, but you have to remember, sir," Payton argued back. "She will draw attention," He warned. "Less attention than if we were to send someone who isn't as stealthy," 

Payton gave in. "Alright, sir. Tomorrow, she'll be working at S.H.I.E.L.D as a spy," He reluctantly said. "Good. Keep me updated, professor," A long beep could be heard after that. Payton put his phone down. "You're up, Venefica," Payton sighed as he turned to the girl. She had been patiently sitting on a chair in Payton's lab. "Here's your badge with your fake surname and I figured you could keep your old name beside it," Payton handed her a S.H.I.E.L.D badge that would let her through every security gate in her new workspace. She took it and put it in her pocket.

Payton sat down at his desk. "You have been quiet," He noticed as he stared at the girl. "I've been occupied," She told him, standing up to pull her chair a bit closer to his desk. "Right, because if you mess this up, your life's purpose will have been for nothing," Payton told her. "If you mess up, I will have brought you back to life for nothing," The girl stared at Payton. "I won't mess up," She assured him. "Good, because I don't feel like doing those 9 years over again," Payton grumbled before pulling out a file from his desk. 

"Though, I must admit," He added with a sigh. "I'll miss you, kid," He told her. "I'll miss you too," The girl admitted. Payton sighed deeply. "Go get some rest," He mumbled as he opened the file and began to 'read'. More like staring at it. The girl softly smiled. She stood up, walked up to Payton and gave him a side hug. "I meant that," She said before walking away. Payton stared at her until she disappeared inside her room, next to the lab. 

He felt conflicted. Even though he put her through a lot of physical pain, he felt like a father to her. Because after the treatment, they got to talk. After she came back from her missions, they talked. They talked and talked and got to know each other. He made her come alive again. He cared for her like she was his daughter. The daughter he never had. And now, after all these years of preparations and practice, she was going to leave. He took a deep breath in and engulfed himself in the work laid before him.