-Chapter 16: Smoke-

Loki splat on the ground like one of those stickball stress toys. Like a person who jumped off the plank and hit the water with their full body. Like a person who jumped off the roof of a very tall building.

Thor gracefully landed, as he always does. Fist first and on one knee.

"Get up, brother, we've got investigating to do," Thor said as he reached his hand out to get his hammer. As the hammer flew to Thor via the lobby, Loki grew the willpower to stand up. "I could've died," Loki commented as he rubbed his arms. "Walk it off, you did it before," Thor said as Mjölnir flew into Thor's hand. He looked at the hotel. The ground levels had smoke coming out of them. 

"That doesn't look good," Loki commented as he folded his arms and looked at the people running out. They were the only ones standing still in the sea of people running out of the hotel. "What about your friends?" Loki asked and cocked his eyebrow. "What about your girlfriend?" Thor asked with the same amount of sarcasm. "Not my girlfriend," Loki corrected. "Is she still in there, ya doof?" Thor asked with a bit more concern. "Mayhaps." Loki shrugged.

"Mayhaps?!" Thor repeated a bit shocked. "Loki, get your mind back on track and get in that smoking building!" Thor demanded. "And get myself killed?" Loki asked as he stared at Thor. "Okay, fine, I see your point," Thor agreed eventually.

"Then I'll be her white knight." Thor sneered as he spun Mjölnir round and round. "Because I'm sure she would want to date me after I come and save her from a gush of smoke," He taunted as he looked at Loki who slightly twitched his eye. Eventually, he sighed. "I need my weapons," He told Thor. "You don't need anything," Thor smiled as he grabbed Loki's waist and flew up. "THOR, NO, YOUR SHENANIGANS ARE GOING TOO FAR-"

But before Loki could finish his sentence, Thor had used Loki as a tool to break a window on the tenth floor. Loki rolled inside as Thor slid through the hall. "You are pretty useful sometimes," Thor commented as he walked through the hall and back to Loki. "Thank you," Loki sarcastically said as he removed his face off the carpet.

"You'll go up, I'll go down. If you see Y/N, grab her and evacuate," Thor said as he began to walk away. "Thor, I need a weapon," Loki reminded his brother. "Right," Thor said as he looked around. Finally, he laid his eyes on a stool in the hall. He picked it up and handed it to Loki. "Here you go, brother! Go kick some a$$," He said as he patted Loki's shoulder. 

"You can't be serious," Loki said as Thor walked away. "Dead serious!" He yelled before running up the stairs. Loki frowned intensly before he rolled his eyes to the back of his head and began going down the stairs. The smoke was getting thicker and thicker. Loki had to squint his eyes because they began to sting. As he went down step by step, he noticed that this wasn't any old smoke.

It was gas.

"Ugh, this can't be good," He grabbed the tissue that he was casually carrying around with him and pressed it against his mouth as he was afraid of the unknown gas. Finally, he had reached the spacious lobby. It seems that the fire alarm was pulled because the floor was wet due to the fire sprinklers going off. The staff had also taken the necessary measures to close every window and turn the lights on. 

So Loki entered the fog. 

On the other side of the grand lobby stood Y/N. She wore a hand-made oxygon mask that she picked up from her room when she saw the gas downstairs. When she grabbed it, she ran back downstairs to help evacuate the people. She didn't know what was going on. Yet she did have a feeling that Hydra was up to this.

 A notification popped up on her remote control. The same device she uses to control the workers at S.H.I.E.L.D. Luckily for her, the remote almost never left her sight. So when Loki decided to throw away all her clothes, she still had the remote in hand's reach. 

In capital letters, there stood a message. 

TONY'S LAPTOP

Y/N knew exactly what they wanted her to do. But the timing was off. If they would've asked her to do it yesterday, she would've done it without a doubt. But now she was really stabbing some people in the back. She groaned as she marched toward where she thought were the stairs. 

Loki felt his eyes sting really bad to the point his eyes began to tear up. He felt lost through the unknown. When stepped through the puddles and the soaked carpet when he heard a moan. He stopped and looked around, the chair still in hand. A dark figure in the mist stood out. Crunched over in pain, soaked in the water on the ground. It was dead silent. 

Until the figure decided to jump at him. Loki didn't hesitate and slammed his chair into the incoming danger. "I JUST WASHED MY HAIR! DON'T TOUCH ME, YOU PROVINCIAL!" Loki yelped. As it took the blow, Loki could definitely hear bones breaking within the figure, which was pretty strange. The figure shrieked, making the sound of nails against the chalkboard, as it fell to the ground. 

Loki took deep breathes in and out as he backed away from his attacker. He observed the creature on the ground. It was unquestionably not a human but it did look like it. Melted, broken bones held together by a saggy bag of flesh. It resembled a droopier version of a zombie. It seemed like he had even managed to break its bones. Loki was disgusted.

"I'm going to puke," He gagged as he held his stomach. "What the f*ck is that?" He asked himself. Just as he was about to say anything else, he saw another figure in the distance. He didn't take any risks and slowly set the half-broken chair down. Now relying on nothing but his magic, he slowly crept toward the figure. It seemed more human-like, but he didn't want to take any chances. 

When he got close enough to his victim, he waved his hand close by and cast the simplest and easiest spell he knew. Suddenly the figure stopped. It began to stutter. When Loki got close enough he immediately regretted what he had done. 

Y/N touched her face. She waved her hand in front of her eyes and blinked a few times. "W-What?" She said as she blinked a few more times. She saw nothing but darkness. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder and a hand tightly wrapped around her mouth. "Y/N, listen to me," She heard a familiar voice. "You need to remain calm," 

"Loki?"

"Yes," Loki told her as he let go off her and grabbed her hands. "I temporarily blinded you," Loki explained, holding both of her hands tightly in his. "Why?" Y/N asked a bit scared. Not wanting to say it was on accident, Loki replied: "I have my reasons," He sheepishly mumbled. "Dude, not funny," Y/N said, eyes wide as she did not have to adjust her eyes to the light. 

"Are you scared of the dark or something?" Loki asked with a chuckle. When Y/N did not answer and instead just stared past Loki, he stopped laughing. 

"...Right, let's get you out of here."