Chapter 10

I raced down the hallways, the tiles slippery under my bare feet. I didn't know where I was going, but anywhere was better than being caught.

I dashed into Queen Frigga's Chambers, my eyes wide and full of panic. "Frost Giants..." I gasped. "Coming... Hide..."

The Queen didn't waste a second. She pulled me behind her and drew a sword. Then the door came banging open. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out. Frigga stood her ground until a jotun threw her to the ground. I scampered to her side as the jotuns turned their attention to the casket in which Odin lay.

The blue creature made a dagger out of ice, and after whispering words to the King, he made to slice his throat. Frigga pulled me into her, forcing me to look away from the scene. But before the knife struck it's target, the doors burst open again, and in ran Loki, his scepter drawn.

The frost giants were no more.

He rushed to our side, kneeling beside Frigga, who held my quivering form. He gently pulled me from her grasp, and I clung to his neck, tears streaming silently down me cheeks. He helped his mother up, and then turned his eyes towards me.

"Rowan, darling, I've got you." He whispered into my hair. I tried to push my face further into his armor, with no avail. "Hush, Rowan."

I hadn't realized it, but my sobs had gotten louder as I sniffed. Loki shifted me in his arms, and when I looked up again, I was even with his face.

Using only his thumb, he wiped away the tears still leaking out of my green eyes, his own full of worry. 

Loki's POV

As I walked towards Rowan's room, I contemplated my plan. I hadn't meant for Rowan to get involved, infact, I had made specific orders for her and mother not to be harmed. But I clearly hadn't thought it through enough. After the death of her father, she was bound to be traumatized by the sight of a Jotun. And having seen one almost kill Odin would definitely set her over the edge again. I mentally slapped myself. How could I have been so stupid? She was MY responsibility, I couldn't go through with all of these plans with her right on the line of fire. I had to be more careful.

As I stepped into her room, she shifted in my arms again, and looked up, rubbing her eyes. I realized that she had fallen asleep, and I was so engrossed in my thoughts I hadn't felt it.

Her eyes started to pool with tears again, and I held her close, murmuring into her ear.

"Hush, Rowan, Daddy's got you."