Chapter 21

3rd Person POV

For the second time that day, Rowan awoke in a strange place, filled with strange images and sounds. What she awoke to this time was a small white room, filled with a constant beeping, enough to drive anyone in their right mind insane.

She found that sitting up was a terrible idea, as her whole body went numb with fiery pain, burning her spine. She cringed and lay back down, resting her head on the soft white pillow, and glancing around the room once more.

There were several odd machines in the white room, with curious equipment and medicines lines up in rows. There were several see-through pouches hanging next to her, feeding a thin steam of clear liquid into her small frame from a long time, feeding into a needle stuck in her arm. Reaching over to the needle, she made to pull it out.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Came a slow voice from the doorway. In came a tall man with an dispatch, clad entirely in blackened leather.

"And why not?" Came the child's cool reply.

"It's supporting your life, and dulling the pain. I'm not sure how, but you're in pretty bad shape." The man took a step closer to the foot of her bed, glancing at a board containing what Rowan guessed was to be her vital signs.

"Falling through oblivion can do that to you." She muttered under her breath. At first she hadn't had the slightest idea of where she was, but out was clear now that she was on Midgard, the only reason who want completely knowledgeable when it came to the nine realms, or else they would have already questioned what she, an Asgardian, was doing in their realm.

"What was that?" The man looked up from the various charts.

"Nothing." She muttered.

"You've obtained no serious injuries, so far as we can tell, but you're on pretty bad shape for some reason. Your body is nearly dead, you've overexerted it. Your bones are flimsy, not as strong as they normally are, weakened for some reason or another. And we have one final problem."

"You do?" I asked, freightingcuriosity from me bed.

"Yes. We do."

"And what's that?"

The man swallowed and thought before speaking again. "You don't show up pin any of our databases. You technically don't exist."

After a shocked moment, I nodded slightly at the man.

"I exist just as much as you do." I said, holding out my arm. "I'm here, aren't I?"

The man nodded. "However, you don't have a name, date of birth, city of residence, nothing. While you may be flesh and bone, you shouldn't exist."

A small smile flittered onto the girls face. "Well then, I suppose you should sit down. It's a long story."