Chapter 2

Riley's POV

*************

I walked around the shack, bored out of my mind. We had to take turns keeping gaurd while the others got sleep and it was my turn. I walked out onto the creaky, wooden porch and sat in one of the chairs. The sun started to rise, it was actually quite a beautiful sight, other then the Zombies walking towards me. I smirked and rolled my eyes, this was too easy. All those violent video games really payed off.

I darted towards the closest one and buried my swiss army knife into its head, then pulled it out, and dug it back in again. It fell to the ground. I pulled out a slightly larger knife and stabbed the next one, I ripped it out of the decaying corpse and grinned a bit. I didn't smile because I had killed it, I smiled because I'm alive. Those Zombies could've killed me, but instead I survived. That's why I smile when they die.

I sighed as I walked back up to the porch and sat in the chair once again, stared at the corn field which was right across from the shack. It seemed endless, it was like if you went in you wouldn't ever come out the other side. Unfortunately that was the only way out of this town, unless we take down the barriers at the edge of this town. It seemed to be the safest way to leave, that way we wouldn't be out in the open. "Hey. You can go up stairs and sleep now, its my turn to watch guard." Paisley's voice startled me. I took a deep breath and nodded, "You gonna be ok? You don't want me to stay up wi-" she cut me off quickly "I'll be fine, Riley." I nodded without saying another word and went inside.

I stumbled up the stairs and flopped down onto the dusty bed, letting my thoughts consume me. What are we gonna do? For all we know, we could be the last people on this earth. Is this how it ends? Fighting for our lives? I don't see a point to all of this. I continuously ask myself the same question... Why? Why are we the last ones? Or are there other people on this planet? It seemed like yesterday that we were gossiping about who our celebrity crushes were and now we're spending all of our time trying to survive. Is this how we spend the rest of our lives? I don't want it to end like this. I shut my eyes and sigh, sleep is out of the question.

"Morning." My eyes bust open as I see my sister standing in the doorway. "We should leave town today. I mean we have all the supplies that we need... Everyone is well rested up. Right?" She wants to leave? Already?? "Yea. I guess..." I mumbled out, she walked in and sat next to me on the bed. "You can talk to me about anything. You know that right?" She asked. "Of course." I replied, expecting one of her long speeches about being able to help and blah blah blah blah blah! "Then tell me what's wrong." She demanded, she didn't ask, she told me to tell her.

"I don't know.. I just haven't felt myself lately. I mean, is this all that's left of our lives?" I asked, knowing that she probably wasn't able to answer my question. She sat in silence then began to speak, "Honestly. I don't know. Maybe?" I groaned, "I hope not."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey beautiful people!

How are you today?

Hope your enjoying the story so far!

Love you all!

Comment, vote, follow :)

-Hailee