Part 2 Chapter 10 (break your heart right back)

The first day of school is today. I rushed to get dressed, brushed my teeth, and styled my hair. I checked the time. . . it's already 8:50! I've got 40 minutes to go! Almost falling over, I ran downstairs and sat down at the table where Marilla and Matthew were already sitting. Breakfast was ready, too. We had breakfast in a hurry. And we walked up to Jane's house, where Ruby was already waiting. We were supposed to go to the opening together. As soon as they saw me, they got up from the swing on which they sat and approached me. I hugged them. And almost immediately we headed for the railway station.

Walking we laughed and talked about how we imagine learning at school. Jane and Ruby got a boarding school room together, as did Moody and Fred. Jerrys and Maxs grandmother lives literally five hundred meters from the school so they will live in there. Me, Gilbert, Cole and Diana will live in Dianas aunt house.

I was glad that I didn't have to carry big suitcases, with everything needed to live, alone, as Jane and Ruby had to do, right, I helped them a little, but I still didn't have to carry too much, because Diana is coming tonight evening, she won't be at the beginning of the school year ceremony, because she has to stay in hospital, and will bring my and Cole suitcases, because she will come by carriage, not by train, just like we did.

Gilbert, Moody, Fred, Jerry and Max were waiting for us at the station. Next to them stood Billy and Josie and a few other people that I knew only from the viewpoint.

When we entered the station and were relieved to sit on the bench, Billy sat down and our boys stood in front of us.

They started talking about total stupidity, which we kept laughing at. I noticed two things:

First of all, the stress of living in a new place, leaving my parents, and a new school, is slowly disappearing.

Secondly, after the mountain accident, my relationship with Billy has changed dramatically, we did not like each other before, and now I can even say that we are colleagues! Billy turned out to be a very nice, funny and sensitive boy who likes to laugh at or tease someone from time to time, I got used to his pinchy character, which I hated before.

When the train arrived, still talking and laughing, we entered it and took a compartment with enough room for each of us.

The journey did not last long, after a while we stood in front of the entrance to the school.

I started to get a little nervous, but when Gilbert and Jane grabbed my hands, my mood immediately improved.

We went inside. The school looked average, there was nothing unusual about it. It was full of students, standing in the corridors, or just getting in through the door, just like we did. I saw a lot of faces, faces that were extremely happy to see, a second face, probably not seen during the whole holiday.

It was full of students, shouting something, hugging or even singing, which made it really loud. But I didn't mind, the atmosphere in the building was just comforting.

The ceremonial start of the new school year was not very interesting. It was boring and long, I would have probably fallen asleep if it hadn't been for Gilbert, who kept whispering funny remarks about our new director.

That's why I had to refrain from laughing, which wasn't that simple.

The meeting in the new classroom was more interesting. In my classroom, there are 25 students , including me, Gilbert, Diana (who is not here), Ruby, Jane and Moody and Billy. The rest of my friends are in a parallel class.

At first glance, my new friends look quite nice. They all introduced themselves, and I, strangely enough, remembered all the names!

I think we're going to be a very cool, good class, we've even arranged a meeting! Too bad 10 people won't be able to come, but I'm sure it'll be fun anyway. Carol, who has lived in this city since birth, decided to show us around the most interesting and coolest places in the city. We made an appointment with Aunt Josephine to prepare dinner at 6 p. m. , because at such a time we should be home by then.