[Odd Friction]

The guys were more than happy to spend time with me. We roamed all over the Reservation together, with the addition of Embry and Quil. They're fun, and it took my mind off everything for a while.

I'm still not sure why the Pack, as they are called around there, welcomes me with such open arms. I am not even distantly related to the Quiletes.

Not that I am complaining. I love their company. Running around and laughing is something I never did much of, and I now regret that.

But for some reason, Adrian's presence felt more uncomfortable than it ever had. I'm not sure why, but I think I picked up on his flirtatious manner more.

Bella has asked me to go to a movie tonight with her, Mike and Jacob. I mainly agreed so that she wouldn't be cornered by the two males. But I'm not too happy about being in a darkened room with Adrian.

When we get in, Bella and I get enraptured with the film. Even though it is a bit bad.

Both Jacob and Mike have their hands open on the seats by Bella. She glances at them, then firmly fixes her gaze on the screen.

Adrian leans over to me, and I stiffen; feeling his breath fan my neck. "Bet you five bucks Mike ducks out in the next few minutes."

I flick my eyes to Mike, and see that he is a little pale, but very, very sweaty. A breathy laugh escapes my lips.

"No thanks," I reply.

"Why not?" He asks, and I feel his breath on my neck again.

"Because I think he will too," I whisper, and Adrian's breath fans my skin, making goosebumps rise as he laughs.

Almost exactly four minutes later, Mike gives up and runs for the bathroom. We all follow him, and Jacob scoffs as he disappears into the bathroom.

"Maybe you should look for someone who laughs at the gore that makes weaker men sick," he says.

I sense they need some space, so Adrian and I walk further down the hall nearer to the door.

Adrian's eyes burn holes in my head, and I meet them easily. The intensity in his gaze doesn't deter me. But as I look, I realise I'm trying to find something that isn't there.

"So did you enjoy the movie?" He asks, breaking the fiery silence between us.

"It could have been better," I say simply, becoming very aware of my heavy breathing.

"That's what I thought," he says.

I can't tear my eyes away. His beautiful brown pools seem to sparkle in the warm theatre light. Long strands of black hair lick his eyebrows. His tan skin gleams warmly.

"Fancy coming over to the rez for a while?" He asks, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Sure," I reply without thinking.

We finally break eye-contact, and my breath comes easier. I silently scold myself for my behaviour, then remember that I don't have a boyfriend anymore.

Adrian and I could happen. There's nothing stopping it. Except me. Something inside is holding me back, and I know it is my love for Jasper.

But why should that stop me? Jasper probably broke up with me because he's found someone nicer, prettier, less broken than me. I need to move on.

I find my eyes burning as we walk toward Bella and Jacob. Anger flares in my chest. I will not let anyone make me feel like this.

Jacob falters a bit, and I notice a gleam of sweat gathering on his forehead.

"I-I think I'm just going to head home," he stutters out, and pushes past is to stagger out the door.

We watch him go, and Mike scoffs, shaking his head. "What's his problem?"

"We're heading to the rez, Bella. Will you be okay getting home?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. You guys go have fun," Bella says, smiling.

We all walk out together, then split up. Adrian's car is nice, but nothing compared to a Camaro.

I curse myself once again. Comparing Adrian to Jasper is not fair. To anyone. Because no one will ever be like Jasper, and no one will ever be like Adrian, as they are each unique people.

But deep inside, I know it is more than that. No one will ever be like Jasper, because he is, and will always be, the only one for me.

That does not mean I shouldn't try and move on, though. Adrian is handsome, clever and he makes me laugh. And there is clearly something between us. Why shouldn't I be happy?

These are my thoughts as I look at Adrian's car. For a moment, I am frozen--torn in an internal struggle. Then he opens the passenger door for me, and smiles.

"Are you coming or not?"

My eyes snap to his, and a easy-going feeling washes over me. My own smile comes easily, and I allow my body to take over.

"Of course."

--------------~
A/N

Hey, guys! Sorry for the long wait, and how short this chapter is. But the next ones will be much longer, and much better.

I hope you are still enjoying this story! :)

Please comment and let me know if you have any thoughts! I love reading them.

With much love,

Rosserue Alatariel <3