[Back In His Arms]

The pounding of my heart has nothing to do with exertion. A bud of anxiety grew in the car, and has now bloomed.

My feet carry me forward with a decent amount of speed. But I am detterred by the masses of people walking the streets.

I run through the lines with my body angled to the side, making it easer to navigate the sea of red without barging into people.

All the while, my eyes search for the bell tower, or any signs of its location. Unfortunately, Italian is not a language I have ever taken at school.

I could stop and ask someone, but I'm afraid that if I do, my body will give in and collapse. The second this adrenaline leaves me, I'll barely be able to support my own weight. The sickness will come pouring back.

So I draw on my anxiety, using it to keep the fuel in my blood. I push forward, not daring to stop for even the slightest moment.

The only thoughts in my head are "get to him."

Mostly, my body reacts instinctively. It knows where to put my feet so not to slip. It knows how to balance when I'm nearly knocked over. All I need to do is focus on where I'm going and trust myself.

This proves true, because soon enough I come to a huge high street. The road has some sort of parade going on, with hundreds of people crowded in to watch.

For a split second, I pause, until my eyes lock with the top of the bell tower.

I think I might have caught a glimpse of Bella, but I can't be sure. My feet are already carrying me through the crowds.

The thumping gets louder, and I can almost hear my blood pumping in my veins. Each foot fall echoes through my entire body.

I'm not sure I blink at all, afraid the tower might disappear, like a mirage, if I do.

I cross the street, and see Bella leaning on a fountain. My eyes flick to a dark doorway, where two figures are making their slow descent to the stairs, which are flooded with light.

The bell tolls noon. It sounds ominous in my ears, like the bells of of hell.

Without breaking stride, I hop onto the fountain wall and run around it, while Bella goes straight through the water.

Neither of us acknowledge the other. Both of us are too focused on the people a mere twenty feet from us.

Jasper undoes his shirt, his face set in a dark, pained look. His eyes are almost black, but even with so many humans around they don't rise from the stone in front of him.

Seeing him again creates a burst of happiness inside me, but it is quickly quashed by the possibility of this being the last time.

He steps out, the sun dancing off of his skin, revealing all of his scars. Ones that I have traced, kissed, and doodled on. They litter his perfect, pale flesh, from his hips to his neck.

"No!"

I throw myself onto him, winding my arms around his neck and shielding him from the sun's revealing rays.

He sighs, almost relieved, and buries his face in my neck. "Jordan...I must be in Heaven..."

"Jaz, you have to step back, everyone will see!" I exclaim, trying to force him back toward the doorway. "Look at me, I'm alive, please!"

I feel his arms tighten, and agonisingly slowly, Jasper raises his head. A sharp clarity enters his dark eyes, and he backs into the archway.

"Jordan?" He whispers, his eyes wide as he traces a cold finger along my cheek. "You're alive?"