Atomic Number

Serenity was sitting at the dining room table having an afternoon snack when Leah came through the front door with her luggage. "Well hello stranger!" Serenity exclaimed. Leah hadn't been home since their trip to Los Angeles. When Serenity didn't show up for their flight, Leah messaged Karl and she went back to his AIRBNB. She then went back to Minnesota with him and had stayed there. The two of them stayed holed up in Karl's house to see if they were really serious about working things out.

"I haven't been gone for that long," Leah said. "It's been like a week and a half. That's long. Even for you". Leah rolled her luggage to her room and Serenity followed behind her with her bowl of Goldfish Crackers in hand. Serenity plopped herself onto Leah's queen sized bed and continued eating. "Don't get crumbs on my comforter," she barked. "I won't". Leah opened her suitcase and started dumping clothes onto the bed. "So how did it go?" she asked. Leah shrugged and sighed. "About as well as it could have. There's still a lot of trust issues that the two of us have with each other but we're willing to work on them".

Serenity noticed the tone of Leah's voice. "Is there anything you want to talk about? You seem a little upset," Serenity pointed out. Leah stopped dumping out the contents of her suitcase and pouted at Serenity. "I fucked up," she nearly cried. "What did you do?" Serenity asked frantically. "I may have let it slip that I think he's the love of my life". Serenity relaxed and dropped her shoulders. "You had me thinking it was something serious," she said as continued to eat the crackers. "That is serious! He wasn't supposed to know that!".

Serenity scoffs. "What's the harm in him knowing? He should know exactly how you feel about him". Leah sneers at Serenity as she closes her suitcase and stashes it in her closet. "I'm always supposed to have the upper hand in these situations. Him knowing how I feel takes that away from me completely. Now he just knows and it sucks for me". Serenity ate another small handful of the crackers. "I mean like, how did he react?" she asked. 

"He said he wasn't sure if he felt the same, but there was an undeniable spark between us". Serenity's eyes lit up. "That's great!" she exclaimed. "It's really not," she pouted as she stood by her closet. "What did you want him to say?" she asked. "I wanted to hear the same thing. When we were first dating, we were absolutely crazy about each other. Like every waking moment we spent talking to each other. I even almost moved in with him". Serenity cocked her head back in disbelief. "Umm that's the first I'm hearing of that," she said in a curious tone.

"It was something we talked about a few times. The two of us thought our relationship would work a little better if I moved out there. The distance becomes too much and if the relationship is too fresh or there's already trouble, it won't work". Serenity stuffed more crackers in her mouth as she thought about her relationship with Kyle. They had just started dating and they were long distance. Are Kyle and I going to last?

"Well you didn't so that's great," Serenity says as she takes her mind off of what Leah said. "It is but we decided to start dating again and Karl said we should seriously consider moving in with each other". Serenity frowned at the thought of being separated from Leah. "Why would you move in with someone you don't trust?" she asked. "The trust issues stem from him ghosting me and the Whole Foods parking lot incident". Serenity continued to munch on the crackers. "It's like how can I trust him after he broke up with me by ghosting me and then how can he trust me after I went ape shit on a girl in public. It's not super serious on his end, but he wants to make amends with the ghosting shit and he thinks that moving in will give us the opportunity to do what we should've been doing. Just making shit right you know?" Leah explained.

"No, I don't know," Serenity said. "It made a lot more sense the way he explained it. You know I'm not good at shit like this," Leah said. Serenity sunk into herself and sat the bowl next to her. "So what are you going to do?" Serenity asked as Leah sat at the desk chair. "I think I'm going to go". A tear fell down Serenity's cheek and she quickly wiped it away. "Serenity. Don't cry," consoled Leah. "I told him I wanted to wait for a while. I would ideally go a few weeks before the season is scheduled to start up. I wanted to make sure we still had enough time to spend with each other". Serenity smiled at Leah.