Jungles

The smell of coffee filled Serenity's apartment. Aaron and Kathy were in the kitchen as he poured the coffee into mugs for the both of them. "Who drinks hot coffee in the afternoon? These are iced coffee hours," Neri jokes. "When you get our age you'll understand," Aaron says. "Is this a new couch?" Gideon asks as he tries to adjust himself. "Yes. Leah gifted it to me as a parting gift like a week ago. She's brand new". Serenity was sitting at the dining room table getting her few affairs in order before she left for Los Angeles in the morning. Kathy comes over and inspects the couch. "Looks expensive. Where did she get it?" she asks. "Restoration Hardware". Kathy nearly chokes on the coffee she had sipped. "She's got it like that?" she hooted.

"Yeah. She said Karl gave her access to all his cards as soon as she moved in. But I mean, the old couch was from Restoration Hardware as well. This is just an upgraded version". Kathy marveled at the couch. "Yeah but Leah didn't have to fuck a guy to get this one," Gideon blurted. Kathy hit him on the back of the head. "Don't say that! It was gifted to her by a boyfriend," Kathy snaps. Neri, now intrigued with her and Serenity's lifestyle, chuckled to herself. "You've been staying here since Leah left. You didn't notice there was a new couch?" Aaron asked as he sat down. "It was the first thing I noticed when I came in".

"I don't pay attention to the things in here like that," Gideon scoffs. "You should. It's called being aware of your surroundings," Kathy says as she sits at the table with Serenity and Neri. Serenity was filling out some forms that needed to be processed before she started with Manner-Meyer on Monday. She stared at the box which asked for her full name.

Serenity
Having a bit of a dilemma

She moved on to the other boxes and filled them out. "A month in Los Angeles!" Aaron said. "Please bring souvenirs back," he laughed. "I'll make sure of it. I know how you like t-shirts". Neri looked around the open layout of the apartment as she had never been here before. She was trying to hide her curiosity but Serenity took notice. "You can look around if you want," she said, snapping Neri's attention to her. "You're free to roam in here". Neri stood up from the table and observed the vase that was on a shelf in the living. "Where did you get this?" she asked. "Peru". Neri's eyes widened. She had no idea her sister was so well traveled.

Kyle Kuzma
How can I help?

Serenity
A form is asking for my full name. Should I put my actual name or just Kaufman?

"Well your mom and I came over to talk about Gideon staying here," Aaron started. Gideon rolled his eyes as this had been the topic of conversation for two weeks now. "I'm okay with the idea of him staying here by himself". Gideon's face lit up. Aaron was very adamant that once Serenity left town, he would have to come back home. He was only 17 and had no business living by himself. "What made you change your mind?" Serenity asked. "Kathy persuaded me. She should've been a lawyer with how charismatic she is". 

"But it's your house so you make the rules," Kathy said. "But Aaron and I have some of our own to add on to whatever you may have". Serenity thought to herself. "Clean up after yourself. This is an old building so we gets ants really easily. Take out the trash regularly. When it starts to smell, it lingers. If you throw any parties, have them downstairs. The total cost of furniture and decor in this place is exuberant. If anything is damaged or missing when I come back, I'm sending an invoice". Gideon chuckles at her rules.

"We just ask that you be home by 10 and keep up your grades. Your mom and I won't be here to keep an eye on you so we're really trusting you to be responsible. Don't muck it up," says Aaron. Serenity always thought it was funny how Aaron never cursed. His replacement words were just so funny to her.