The patch of grass on route 2

I was a huge Pokémon fan, and when the package of two used Gameboy Colors that I ordered from the internet arrived, I was hysterical; I could play my old Pokémon games again. My first Gameboys had broken at least three years ago, and I had just decided to get new ones. I missed playing Pokémon.

I tore open the package and took out the Gameboy Colors, grabbed the batteries I had nearby, put them in, and powered up the systems to see if it even worked. They started up perfectly. I turned it back off and brought them into my room, where I had set out my Pokémon games I had and link cables. I looked over the few games. Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Crystal. Those were all my favorites. I picked Blue first. I put it in, and started it up. The game started normally. I hit continue, and my character appeared on Route 2, near the entrance to Viridian Forest. Strange. I opened the menu and looked at my team. Blastoise, Rhydon, Magneton, Kadabra, Pidgeot, and Haunter. They were all above level 50. What was I doing at Route 2? I shrugged and turned it off. Next I went to Yellow, my personal favorite out of all of them. It started up normally as expected, and once again hit continue. I was once again at Route 2. Pikachu was not following me. This didn't surprise me, for some reason. I checked my team. I only had four Pokémon. A level 100 Sandslash who is named Lumpy, level 100 Gengar, level 100 Jolteon, and a level 100 glitch Pokémon who is commonly referred to as X-x.

I suddenly remember I had spent days catching glitch Pokémon through the Mew glitch and feeding hundreds of Rare Candies to my Pokémon on my Yellow Version to show them off to my friends. I would also merge Pokémon through a glitch that allowed me to change the colors and stats of a Pokémon. I had changed my Jolteon to a green color to make it look like it was shiny, even though there are no shinies in Generation 1. Since none of my Pokémon could use Fly, I decided to walk down to Viridian City and see what other Pokémon I had. As I walked through the one area of grass to go to Viridian, I encountered a Pokémon. A level 3 Pidgey appeared, and, my green Jolteon being first in the team, I ran away, not wanting to waste time.

Back in the overworld, I only took one step downwards and another battle began. The outline was different as it slid into view. It was a ghost, the one you find in the Pokémon Tower when you don't have the Sliph Scope. I was surprised, but not worried. There was probably an explanation for it, being that this game I had done so many glitches and had caught many glitch Pokémon. Although as far as I knew, you can't make the ghost appear with glitches in Pokémon Yellow. I ran once again, but this time, the shuffling noise that is played when you escape was louder. Once again I thought nothing of it, deciding that this was a glitch Pokémon and a lot of them mess with the audio. As soon as I got to the overworld I checked my bag. A glitched amount of Master Balls and Rare Candies. Some assorted TMs, and other key items. I even had the Sliph Scope. This only creeped me out slightly. I took another step down, and yet another battle started. It was the ghost again. I ran. This time the running sound was normal. But what really shocked me was that, instead of the text saying "Got away safely!"

It simply said:

"Got away."

Back in the overworld I really wished I had a Pokémon with Fly.

Another step down, another battle started. This time the ghost didn't even slide across the screen. It just was there as soon as my Pokémon was let out of the ball. I tried to run again. The text said:

"JOLTEON is too scared to move!"

"GHOST used ROAR"

This was really strange, the ghosts don't have any moves. They usually just say "Get out Get out".

"JOLTEON dragged out GENGAR"

Good! A ghost type versus the ghost. Maybe I can run away.

For the life of me I didn't want to turn this game off. It was so strange, I wanted to see what else would happen. I chose to run with my Gengar.