Chapter 9

I wake up this morning mad early to get ready to take my son to school. I go to the bathroom to handle my usual routine then head downstairs to start breakfast.

Erica: King, breakfast is ready! Hurry up so it won't get cold.

King: coming Ma!

Erica: good morning mijo. How'd you sleep?

King: good. How about you mommy?

Erica: also good, thanks for asking.

King and I started to eat breakfast. I know I have to tell him that I'm leaving back for New York tonight and I know that's he's gonna be upset about that.

Erica: King, mommy has something she needs to tell.

King: is everything okay ma?

Erica: yes. Just that when I go to pick you up today from school, I need to start getting ready to head back to New York for work.

King: He just sat there looking at the table. How long are you gonna be gone this time?

It kills that the first thing that comes outta his mouth is asking how long Imma be gone. It just hurts me every time that I know he gets upset when I have to leave.

Erica: Im gonna be in New York for a couple months but still be hosting at other states here and there.

King: so you gonna be gone long enough to forget me, huh?

I see the tears forming in his eyes and get up and kneel down towards him.

Erica: King look at me. No matter where I am or how far I am away from you, I always love you and you're the main person on my mind.

King: wiping the tears away from his eyes. Really mommy? You mean it?

Erica: of course mijo and Never forget that, okay. The work and travel I do is for you. I wanna give you the world that you deserve cuz you are my world.

King: thank you ma. For everything that you do for me and our family. You put my needs first before your own. I wish more people can see. You're the best mom any kid can ask for.

As King was saying all this to me, I couldn't help but to smile and tears starting to fall from my eyes. King wiped my eyes and the tears.

King: why are you crying mommy? Are you sad?

Erica: no mijo. I'm happy right now. Those were the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me before. I'm so proud to have you in my life King.

King: I'm lucky too ma. I love you.

Erica: I love you too baby. Come on, we have to get ready or your be late for school.

King went to take a shower and got dressed. He grabbed his backpack and lunch Erica made for him. They both got in the car and headed to King's school.

They arrived at the school and King gave his mom a big hug and kiss before he got out.

King: You're still gonna pick me up, right ma?

Erica: yes mijo. I am. Now go before you're late. I love you. Have a good day.

King: love you too mommy. Bye