18. Don't Take It Personal

Essence

I got in the car with Pharaoh and out of habit leaned over to kiss him. He kissed me back and smiled once I pulled away. I shook my head knowing this conversation and situation in general was going to be harder than I thought.

For the last week, I have avoided seeing Pharaoh at all cost. I needed to really think about what I wanted for us. I also had to deal with my emotional roller coaster before having the conversation I knew was coming. As he drove, I realize we weren't headed to his place but to his parents house. My eyes widen as I got nervous. Best friend or not, I am not trying to witness the ass whopping his mom is handing out over this.

"Rao... baecon... where we going?" I asked

"Girl you know we going to my parent—"

"I know damn well you ain't dragging me to tell the parental! Uh-uh! I might get beat by association"

"Shut up" he laughed "I'm pretty sure you being there will calm ma down some"

"Rao!"

"If you would've talked to me before now then you wouldn't have to do it" he spoke nonchalantly

"Petty"

"No avoiding me was petty"

"Rao---"

"I know. You need time to think and everything... but before anything else we best friend Ess. I did some thinking too and I can't lose you. I can't lose my friend" he parked in his parents driveway before looking at me "So if you cutting me off.... tell me now"

"Pharaoh I told you as friends we rocking til the wheels fall off baby boy" I caressed his face/beard and sighed "But the feelings I have go beyond that. I had to get myself in order and I couldn't do that with you beside me"

"Yes you could" he moved my hand "I know it's a fucked up situations but I just wanted to know you always here for me like I'm always gone be here for you"

"Do you see where I am?"

We both laughed

"Just don't leave me Ess... I can't control a lot of what's going on but I got this"

I nodded not sure if I could truly believe him. It wasn't that I didn't, more or less that I knew he didn't believe himself. Still, I got out of the car and followed him into his parents house. His mother was cooking and had the whole house smelling like heaven. Heiress went back to school early to chill with her friends so it was just his parents and King.

I helped Mama Tori (who popped me like I was a toddler for not calling her Mama Tori) with the rest of dinner before we set the table. Once everything was in place, we all sat down at said grace. Pharaoh was visibly nervous so as we ate, I rubbed his thigh to calm him down. Just as everyone was finishing up, he cleared his through.

"Umm I gotta talk to yall about something" he sighed

"What is it baby" his mom smiled

"Don't be smiling Tori" he dad rolled his eyes "That was a 'I fucked up' sigh. What you do?"

"Dang pops" he shook his head

"Don't dang me! I might've been born at night but it wasn't last night. So speak up"

"Just tell em Rao" I moved to rub his back

"Lord" his mom looked shocked "I knew it!"

We both looked shocked as she jumped up smiling with tears in her eyes.

"Ma---"

"I can't believe this!"

"Baby you tripping" his dad laughed