XIX. Oh Yeah, There's Where My Heart Broke In Two

A/N: So yeah, this chapter. I'm sorry guys but it just has to happen. Sad stuff ahead D:

Can You Hold Me by NF & Britt Nicole on repeat for this chapter :((

Remember to vote and comment!

———
XIX. Oh Yeah, There's Where My Heart Broke In Two

LESLIE

Graduation day came on so fast that I didn't have enough time to really prepare for it. It's like one day I was starting my senior year in a new school, a new place and now I'm saying goodbye to the school and friends that I've made while I was here. And in the fall, I'll be saying goodbye to this town until I'm done with college in four years.

God—I'm no longer a high school anymore but a future college freshmen. A nineteen year old woman who's about to go to the college I've been planning for, for as long as I can remember. I'm both excited and nervous to be going to California. I'll be going by myself and I can't help but feel sad about that.

Over a year ago, I thought I'd have Natalie coming with me, that she'd be by my side but that will never happen. That's something I'll never get over and have to learn to live with because ultimately she's gone and never coming back.

"Leslie Amelia Harris," when Principal Aldridge calls my name I feel so many emotions as I take my diploma.

I can hear my dad all the way from the stage and I nervously laugh as I hear all of Jackson's family join in next to him, yelling out in excitement. When I glance down at where Jackson sitting in his seat, he's not even looking up at me. He's busy looking down at his hands and the rolled up diploma in his lap. I feel this strange sense of worry in the pit of my stomach as I walk off the stage and back to my seat two rows behind him.

The last couple weeks, he's been acting different—like someone who has a lot on their mind and is just going through the motions of everyday blindly, like a zombie. I asked him countless times what was wrong and he said it was nothing but nerves about today and when he has to leave in a few days for basic camp.

As I walk up to him after the ceremony completed, he brings me into his arms and I press my lips to his. He looks down into my eyes, as if he is searching my soul and I'm about to ask him what he is doing when his family walks up. They all congratulate both of us and it temporarily takes my mind off of what's going on with Jackson.

"LeeLee! Oh darlin' you finally did it. I'm so damn proud of you," my dad beams as he wraps me up in his arms.

"Thanks Dad," I smile up at him as I back away so he can give Jackson his manly hug. Jackson smirks at him but the happiness doesn't reach his eyes. The way he's acting, it's like he wishes this all wasn't happening right now. His mind is somewhere else.

"We are all going to go to the diner to celebrate right now if you guys want to come. You're more than welcome," Bex smiles kindly at us.

"That sounds great! I could eat," my dad laughs and I roll my eyes. Of course he could, when is he never not eating? He's got to get all those carbs and protein he consumes from somewhere to help pack on the muscles. Eat in bulk he always says.

"You could always eat Dad," I tease him and poke his side. He smiles down at me, nodding in agreement.

"Actually, I had plans already for the two of us," Jackson speaks up as he puts an arm around me.