XXIII. Heart-To-Heart

A/N: How did you guys like the last chapter with the flashback? Little bit of smut there and funny moments. Hope you enjoyed.

Also will be throwing in a bit of a flashback in this one from Bex's POV as she explains how Nate and her found out about Natalie. Enjoy!

Remember to vote and comment<3

———
XXIII. Heart-To-Heart

"Son, first things first—we've only known for the last year about Natalie. So I don't want you thinking that we've known this whole time and didn't tell you. Second, we didn't tell you because Lee asked us not to," my dad begins to explain and I can feel the rage building inside my chest, about to explode. Are you fucking kidding me right now?

"So Lee asks you to not tell your own son that he's a father and you automatically decide to listen to her, respect her wishes? I'm your son for Christ sakes!" I growl and I automatically notice the tears forming in my mom's eyes as she grabs a hold of my dad's hand.

Usually I'd want to reframe myself to not upset her but right now I'm too damn upset to care about scaring her or hurting her feelings. I can't believe my own parents would keep something like this from me. The same two people that taught me never to lie, to always be honest. What a couple of fucking hypocrites.

"We know that son but when Lee explained her reasoning behind why she never told you or didn't want you to know yet, it made sense. She did it so you could concentrate on your career son. It may have not been the best decision but it was a choice she made that she felt was best for the both of you at the time," he sits forwards, rubbing his hands together, trying to make sense of all of this.

I take a moment to think about what he said, what Lee told me, and even though I don't like it—I can understand why things happened the way they did. Is it fair? Hell no it's not. But at the end of the day, there's not much I can do about it.

All I want now, is the truth. I want to know how they found out, what exactly was said, and what it's been like for them since knowing they're grandparents.

I will say I am thankful that Lee didn't make me out to be the bad guy to Natalie. Honestly though I knew deep down that she wouldn't have. Despite her decision to keep me out of the loop, Lee loves me and cares about me enough to make sure our little girl didn't hate me after all this time.

It's insane to think that—I have a little girl. A perfect replica of both Lee and myself. When I'd think about us and our future back in high school, I never could imagine a more perfect version of Natalie than what she really is.

"Do you guys get to see her much?" I ask, not looking at either one of them.

"Yes, whenever we want to. Lee has never kept her away from us since she moved back here a year ago. She would've came back much sooner when Natalie was younger but she had to travel for work, along with her apprenticeship in Los Angeles, and that took a couple years to do. She's been working her ass off to make a name for herself in her profession," my dad informs me and I realize I don't even know what Lee does for a living.

The thought that she's been doing this all on her own as a single mother this whole time breaks my heart. Did she even get to finish college?

"Apprenticeship? What does she even do for work? If it took a couple years, did she even finish college?" I finally look at the both of them and they both frown at each other.

"Honey, she was a single mom who had to work full time to support her daughter. She never got to finish college but she was okay with that. To Lee, Natalie is her whole world, something a degree could never give her. But even though she didn't finish college, she still got to live her dream. She still got to travel the world with Natalie by her side," my mom smiles and that information actually brings me serenity.