CHAPTER FOUR

ROSE'S POV

Saturdays are for cleaning!" Sister Tayo said to me this morning.

"Good morning Mr. Kola,"  I said.

" Good morning my dear! how are you? I hope you slept well?. He smiled.

"I did. Thanks."

I was about leaving his presence when I felt a grip on my waist, I was shocked to see Mr. Kola's hands on me.

" excuse me, sir, I'm not comfortable with you holding me like that," I said and gave him a stern look.

" well, you have to get used to it, my dear." He said and lifted his hands over my lower abdomen.
I was so uncomfortable.
He wasn't going to stop at any moment. My subconscious added.
I slapped him and ran away.

What have I done? Did I just slap him?
He was only being nice right?
Was he trying to?...
That's impossible!
I'm beginning to hate it here! How do I face him; seeing him again is inevitable.

"Rose? I heard Sister Tayo calling me, I was scared but also relieved.

I can't imagine her raising her voice at me.

"Ma, you called"

"Yes, I did," she replied.

"I'm on my way to Marthy's Store, so please take good care of the house. I don't want any mess Rose; you know how I like the house, Clean and organized. I'll get you something from the store." She said.

"Thank you ma, but I'd like to follow you to the store; in case if you need help carrying some stuffs," I replied.

The fear was clearly written on my face and I could feel it. I couldn't imagine staying alone with Mr. Kola in that house. What if he rapes me? I said to myself.
I can't judge yet though, but according to most books I've read, those are the signs of rape.

"Is there anything wrong Rose?! Why do you want to follow me? She said.

I think she noticed that there's something wrong. My emotions run wildly on my face and I have to change that.

Do I need to tell her that her husband tried touching me? You'll sound stupid! My subconscious added.

Or that I'm not comfortable with her husband? That'll be so absurd.

"Rose! Rose! "She said loudly.

"Yes ma, I mean nothing is wrong ma. I just thought I'll be of help." I replied.

"And it took you time to say that. OK let's go then," she said.
I was at ease. I couldn't imagine facing Mr. Kola.

            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got back from the store and it took us almost an hour to prepare dinner.

"Set the dining table," Sister Tayo said.
I took the food to the dining room.

"Bless the meal love," Mr. Kola said to his wife.
He was acting like a saint when I know he's not.

I can't imagine my life like this. Scary! I don't even know how to live like this...

"I'll be traveling tomorrow. I'll call Yvonne to come to stay with you two." She told us.

"Ugggh I'm still not in support of this Tayo." He replied.

Omg could this get any worse, I can't stay alone with Mr. Freaky. Well, we'll be having Yvonne stay with us too, but who is Yvonne? I'm yet to find out though.

"When do you intend to travel ma? I asked.

"First thing tomorrow morning" she replied.
Really so quick? Gosh, I can't cope...

I cleared the plates and I moved to my room.
Minutes later I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said loudly.
Mr. Kola walked in. I was so scared that I met my kneels on the floor.

"I'm so sorry sir, I didn't mean to... I'm sorry sir." I said facing the floor.

"It's OK my dear. Come on, stand up. I bought you a gift." He smiled as he brought out a rectangle box wrapped in pink polythene.

What could it be? Why would he buy me a gift? For what?

"Open it". He said and stretched it towards me. I wasn't sure of what I was doing but I opened it and...

A phone? An android phone? My Father said I can't have a phone till I turn sixteen, even when I begged him several. On most occasions, I get to see girls and boys of my age using a phone. I don't know why he chose not to get me one.

"A phone? Thhhank you sir. I stammered.

"You're welcome, and trust me you'll get more like this; if only you'll play with me." He said and moved towards the bed.

I was about moving backward when I heard footsteps coming closer, relief brushed through my veins.

"Look what we have here; father and daughter moments uhn? I'm so glad you two are getting along." She said and hugged her husband from behind.

"Do you like the gift?" She asked further.

"Yes ma, thanks". I answered.

"I hope you're ready for school? are your uniforms washed?"She asked.

"Yes ma" I smiled still excited about the gift.

"OK, then I'll leave you to sleep. Let's go honey. "She said and they both left.