CHAPTER NINE

ALEX'S POV

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncovered my face. I blinked, closed my eyes, and blinked again. Streaks of sunlight penetrated and blinded me, I sat up, dragged my feet off the bed, and rubbed my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretched my arms above my head and yawned.

I can't say it's a beautiful morning yet, at least not yet. I said to myself.
I checked the time and I realized that I was running late for school.  I was confused, how come my alarm didn't wake me. I picked up the table clock and saw that it had stopped, definitely, the alarm won't work.
I rushed into the bathroom to get prepared.

7:50 am

It took me ten minutes to prepare as usual. I walked into the kitchen to grab breakfast, I ate faster than usual.
I was about leaving when I remembered that my dad came home yesterday, I dropped my bag and walked towards his room; I knocked but he wasn't responding. I decided to open the door, when I got in I couldn't find him there and his usual traveling bag.

He's gone, again!  I said to myself.

This time was different, no goodbyes,  I guess it's because we had a fight!
I was about leaving when I heard my phone rang.  Phones are prohibited in my school, so I don't take it with me. I'd always switch it off but I guess I forgot today.

I walked back into my room to pick the call. It was my dad calling.
"Alex, I had to leave. I'll be back tomorrow."

"OK."
I hung up.
The tomorrow in his words represents days, weeks, and months if possible. I hope things change.

*****************************************

The school was noisy as usual, that must be because they've not started classes.

I walked into my class and I was shocked to see many students. Usually, it is mostly crowded but today was different.

I walked in and everyone became silent, I was amazed. I heard two girls whispering "he's here". I think something strange is going on. Martha walked toward me.

"Hi, Alex. You should have told me what happened." David joined us.

"Yeah, you should have told us the truth," David added.

"What truth?" I was confused.

"About your mother. Someone sent a message about your mom being a prisoner to the general school group on WhatsApp." Martha said.

I couldn't believe my ears but I was sure of what I heard. No one knows about this except Rose and my father. My father wouldn't have done that and Rose, could she have? Omg.

"Is it true?" David asked.

"Who sent the message?" I managed to ask.

"An unknown number, after delivering the message, the person left the group," Martha replied.

"So you couldn't get the number. I asked for further.

"I got the number, but it was a private number, even on WhatsApp it had no name," David said.

"Oh.

"Is it true," Martha asked.

"Yeah!  It is." I managed to say.

"Dude, you told me she divorced your Dad!. I can't believe you'd lie to me". He walked away looking disappointed.

"I'm so sorry Alex but it has gone viral. Everyone knows about it already." She left.

I should have denied but at the same time, I got tired of hiding behind my flaws. Everyone knows now and that was fine by me but I don't understand why Rose did this. She couldn't have done this, could she? My subconscious asked.

"Hey Alex, I'm late as usual. How are you?" She smiled. I don't know why she did this, I had to confront her.
"Why did you do this?" I said in a lower tone.

"Do what?" She asked looking confused.
Now everyone in the class was mute trying to get more news.

"Don't play innocent with me, you know what you did; and to think I trusted you, Rose. I can't believe this."

"Explain, I don't know what you're talking about."

Maria walked in.
" I heard the rumors, is it true that your mum is in jail for fraud and attempted murder?" Maria looked pitiful.

"Attempted murder?  my mum didn't try to kill anyone"  I yelled. I knew my voice was at its peak.

"Well, that's what was we saw right guys?  She asked the class.

"Yes." They all chorused.

"And the fraud? " someone behind the class asked.

I have never been embarrassed in my entire life, this was way out of my imagination.

"I can't believe your mum is a murderer." A boy from the class said louder.

"Yes, she's in jail, but not for murder," I shouted.

"Alex, I swear I didn't do this." Rose pleaded.

ROSE'S POV

Alex, you mean she knows and I don't, Really Alex." Maria looked disappointed.

"Yeah, she does"   Alex replied.

I don't know who did this but I am sure I'll get to the bottom of this.

"Settle down and prepare for your test". The maths teacher walked in.
"The term is coming to an end and I want y'all to prepare..." She added.

*****************************************

I've never felt this bad ever since I started schooling here.

Alex didn't utter a word to me nor did he make eye contact with me.

Today wasn't so busy like it used to but it was so tensed and full of disappointments.

We closed earlier today, I guess it's because of the upcoming exam.
Alex carried his bag and walked fast towards the exit. I packed my bags and followed him.

"Stop, wait for me!" I said looking exhausted.

"Haven't you done enough?" He asked
We walked out of the school gate.

"I'm so sorry, but trust me I didn't do this."

"And you expect me to believe you? Fine, you warned me, but I was so foolish and I regret ever talking to you in the first place. I should have known that my best friend is dead and gone forever, no one could replace her, No one."  He looked disheartened.

"I shared this secret with Tope for years and she never told anyone but thanks to you, it's all out in public." He added

"I never told anyone, I never did. I don't know how it all happened, I barely have a conversation with our classmates". I tried to defend myself.

"I know, you don't have conversations with them that's why you sent it to the group telling them that you just found out that Alex's mum is in jail. That's how they said you put the words, and to think that I trusted you."

" I was never in the school group on WhatsApp. I haven't been added;  I am just hearing this group issue for the first time. Believe me." He stared at me, his eye narrowed, no doubt his mind was reeling with hateful words he was spewing at me in his head.

"You won't get away with this Rose. If my father finds out about this he'd almost kill me. Thanks for ruining my life, Rose."

"I I I" I stammered. For a moment my legs stopped after hearing those words from him. "Thanks for ruining my life." The words echoed in my head.

I walked slower, He never looked back. I could see his back view until he was out of sight.
Indeed there's someone behind this and I must find out.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Things are beginning to get hot😤😤❤️
Comment let me know your view!!!😊❤️😘
Vote!
More vote!
More updates!!!
Xoxo😘