chapter 7

Max and I made our way out of the airport after getting out bags and getting a taxi. The warm LA air greeted me and I smiled, loving being back home. The drive was about 15 minutes to my house, and I paid the driver and got out, pulling out all the luggage. My mom came out of the house and and smiled, giving me a huge hug.

"Hows my baby?" She asked happily. I smiled at her again, and responded.

"I'm good. How are you?" I asked her, trying to see how she was dealing with my dads death.

"Well, as good as I can be. Work gave me a month off with pay, so I should be okay. How are you holding up with it?" 

"It's hard. I'm okay though. I just miss him a lot." I said sadly. She noticed and gave me a reassuring hug, then spoke again.

"My, how rude I have been. You must be Max." She said pulling away from me and shaking Max's hand.  He nodded and smiled at her, and then spoke up.

"It's lovely to meet you Mrs.West. You have a gorgeous home. It's a pleasure to be able to stay with you and your daughter." He said respectfully. No guy I had ever brought home acted so respectful and greeted my mom like that. 

"It's good to meet you too. And please, call me Anne. If you guys want to head in, we can go get you guys settled then get you guys some breakfast." Mom smiled. I nodded and grabbed 2 suitcases, while Max grabbed one and so did my mom. Max also had the carryons and mom opened the door, leading us into the living room.

"Alright. Ali go ahead and take Max upstairs. He can have the guest room, and I left your bed and desk and everything in your room for you. Just go ahead and make yourselves at home, and come out when your ready." She said, walking into the kitchen. It was about 11 now, and I was happy to be in my old room again. I sprawled out on my bed after showing Max his room, and I just stared at the ceiling. I thought about how tomorrow was going to go, and I was honestly terrified of how hard it would be. I never thought that I would have to prepare a speech for my fathers funeral so early in my life. A tear escaped my eye, but I quickly wiped it away angrily, trying not to start bawling. I heard footsteps come into my room, and the bed shifted beside me. I felt Max's hand sit on my arm, and I put mine over his. It was comforting just to have him with me, and I was greatful for him to help me through this.

"How are you holding up?" He asked after a long pause. I sighed, and decided to just answer him truthfully.

"Not too great actually. I'm just not ready for tomorrow." I admitted. I was so worried that I would mess up, but I knew that my dad wouldn't care, even though he wasn't with us anymore. He was always proud of me, and I knew that he would be with me tomorrow. He may not have a physical precense there, but he will definetly be with me. Max looked over at me, pulling my chin closer to his, ang gently set his lips on mine. It was a comforting kiss, him telling me that he was here for me. I was truly grateful for having him as another support system, and I don't know how I could pay him back. I knew that I had my mom and brother, but having Max meant a lot. My mom told me over the phone yesterday that my brother would be flying in today, so I got to see him for a while, which I was happy about. I missed him so much. I looked over at Max after we had pulled apart, and gave him a soft smile. He returned it, and intertwined our fingers. and brought my hand up to his mouth, kissing my fingers.

"You will do great baby. I'm here, and I'm sure that you won't have anything to worry about. Just take your time unpacking, and if you need anything let me know." He said with a smile, sitting up and standing up. I pulled his hand back, and made him lay back down. He chuckled lightly, before responding.

"I take it you don't want me to leave?" He asked. I shook my head no, and he smiled at me. I had learned to love that smile so easily. It was always so loving when he shot it my way, and I knew that he really meant it when he gave me it. He was always so caring with me, and I loved that I was able to feel so safe around him.