chapter 17

I couldn't believe what I had just heard come out of this girl's mouth. I mean, seriously? I took a deep breath and tried to relax. Payton was staring at me with a look that said she wouldn't stop at anything to get Max back. I guess if she wants to get him back, and Max wants her back, then that's something they are going to have to discuss without me around. But I'm not gonna stand around in this awkward silence anymore.

"So, could you please explain a little more?" I asked, hoping she would at least tell me what she was going to do.

"Oh you really think I would tell you? I want to talk to Max, not some slut who took him away from me. You know, it would be really nice if I could get some alone time with Max. So why don't you get your ass out of our house and let me be with Max again?" She said, smiling through the whole thing. I was taken aback and what she just told me, but I wasn't going to act like a child. What did she mean by "or house?" I was going to handle this like an adult, the farthest thing she is being right now. It was about 7 at night now, and it was pretty cold. I guess I shouldn't expect anything different, since it was about halfway through September. It was slowly getting colder during the day, but it was freezing at night. I didn't want to have to leave the house, but if she isn't going to leave until I'm gone, then I'm not going to stand around.

"Okay. You want me gone? Fine. I'm going up to my room, then if I choose I will leave. Take your time." I said, then removed Max's hands from my stomach and made my way upstairs. I was getting really cold so when I got into my room I changed into some black leggings, a gray sweater, put on some gray socks, then put of my gray uggs(http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=65131007) I went into my bathroom and was looking at my reflection. Could I really compete with Payton? She is completely beautiful, and I have a bunch of flaws. I turned on my curling iron and waited for it to heat up before curling my hair. I grabbed some chapstick and turned off my light. I went back into my closet and grabbed a black infinity scarf and looped it around my neck before grabbing my phone. I slipped it into my brown purse along with my wallet and shut off my light. I made my way down the stairs and I could hear Max talking to Payton in the living room. I didn't want to stay and listen so I made my way to the door, but was stopped by Max before I could leave.

"Where are you going?" He asked. His face looked tense along with the rest of his body. I wasn't sure if he wanted to know where I was going to see how long it would be before I got back so he and Payton could do things I didn't want to think about. Or if he just wanted to know. I grabbed my keys from the bowl by the door and slipped them into my purse before turning back to Max.

"Out." I said, not having a rude tone at all. I didn't want to stay in the house any longer, but I knew Max wouldn't let me out of the house until he knew what was going on.

"Please, don't do this." He said, his eyes pleading me not to leave. He had grabbed my hand but I took it back, opening the door.

"Take all the time you need. Don't bother calling me. I will come home when I'm ready." I said, then walked out the door and shut it before Max could respond. Once the door was shut I squeezed my eyes shut, trying not to cry. I wasn't sure if I was over reacting, but I knew that I wouldn't have been able to stay in the house with Payton in there. 

I didn't bother taking my car, I thought the walk would be good for me. I walked down the driveway and started walking towards the city, trying to distract myself. I got to the city and all that was on my mind was Max. I knew that I should trust him and that he wouldn 't do anything to hurt me. I made a decision that I wasn't upset and I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I walked into starbucks and got myself a coffee, paying the guy and thanking him. I walked out and sipped my warm drink, not being completely cold anymore. I walked down the streets and went into some stores, finding some clothes and trying them on. I bought some shirts and some jeans before deciding to eat some dinner.