Chapter Thirteen: My Babysitter Is...Sick, Very Sick

Levi's POV

It's warm..very warm...too warm..

I could see the light shining at my face through my eye lids. Has morning come already? But usually mornings start off with mocking birds singing their morning tunes or crows squawking their way through the sky. This morning started with inaudible voices and many machine-like noises. Opening my eyes, nearly squinting, I saw three blurry figures in front of me. One was right in front of me and the other two were at the corner of this unusually white bed. As my vision got into place, I made out who these people were. Right away I knew that the brown hair and green eyed boy with puffy red eyes, was definitely Eren Jaegar.

"Eren.." I tried to speak his name but it came out with a croak and a crack in my voice.

This caused me to cough violently.

"Levi!" Eren wiped away the remaining tears on his face, "I'm so sorry..."

Why was he crying? Those tears...could it be that he was crying for me?

"Idiot..." I choked out.

"I know! I know! I should've stopped you and I-I could've found you faster and-"

All the memories came back to me.

"Shut...up..." I coughed, "You can't take responsibility for a mistake an adult made."

After I left that day, I walked forty or fifty miles to where I used to live at, carrying Erwin. When we got there I was tired and exhausted. And the destination was at the only tree that you could spot in front of this ghetto-like city. It was an apple tree that Erwin and I used to climb on. I placed him there then left for the streets. Where I thought I belonged.

"Levi Ackerman." A stern voice commanded my name.

I looked up and saw the doctor who was standing closer. He looked serious at the moment.

"Yes, sir." I used my military way of replying.

"We have to give two different kind of news, good and bad."

I was ready to hear it.

"Go on." I coughed, once again.

"You have...

Pulmonary embolism..."

"What?" Eren nearly shouted.

I replied as calm as possible. "It is a disease of when an artery is blocked in the lungs.."

"Yes and you are correct. However, since this is the early stage of it, it is still curable."

"Huh?" Eren questioned, "But I thought.."

"Sadly, it will take approximately three months for it to be cured."

Three months? But...Eren...

"But I want to stay with Levi!" Eren whined.

He sure is a kid. As the adult, I do have to take responsibility. I reached to grab his hand only to realize that he was already grasping around it tightly. I squeezed back to calm him down.

"Eren...I'm sick, very sick. You can't do anything to change that. But they can.."

His eyes were getting teary again. I hate seeing him like this.

"Doctor..can you give us a moment?" I asked.

He nodded and exited the room along with the nurse. I returned to looking at Eren.

"I don't w-want to be away from you...how can I survive three months without you being there?"

"Eren..If you love me..you would want me to get better, right?"