*One Year Later*

Nine stretched, it was another restless sleep and he would have to prepare for school. He's going through graduate school now and is making the most out of his life. He played some music and proceeded with prepping his extremely late breakfast and his coffee.

Nine looked out the window to the busy streets of Manhattan. He loves and loathes the place but it was the best decision he has made so far. It was new, exciting and refreshing. It is a good place to reboot.

After he learned about Ohm's death, he told his father that he wants to continue studying in New York and would want to leave as soon as possible. A part of him wants to stay but something in him tells him that he needs to find himself first, be the best possible version of him before he plunges back into that deep water he left in Thailand. He needs to reassess himself and gain the confidence he lost in himself, and so he left.

Every now and then, he would call Mr. & Mrs. Kim to ask how they are doing, and today is one of those days.

"Hello Mr. Kim! How are you?" Nine greeted excitedly. He missed the Kims. He always made sure that they have everything they need: a personal nurse for Mrs. Kim and he also paid their mortgage. 

"Nine! We're doing great! How are you doing?"

"I miss you and Mrs. Kim, I've been meaning to call a few days ago but schoolwork got the better of me." Nine apologized.

Mr. Kim chuckled on the other line "It's okay, she's been bugging me to call you via Skype. The woman misses you."

"I miss her too." Nine said with a smile.

"Well, someone else misses you too." Mr. Kim lightly teased Nine.

"Mr. Kim... I told you"

Mr. Kim cut him off "You know he's been here bugging us almost every day, he's asking about you."

The information warmed Nine's heart. "Well, I still want to speak with Mrs. Kim" Nine laughed and tried to divert the conversation.

"You still refuse to talk about him?"

Nine was silent, he didn't know how to answer Mr. Kim "It's not that I don't want to talk about him, it's just that... I don't know Mr. Kim, Fluke was right, it was my fault."

"You are still blaming yourself?"

"How can I not? Someone was badly injured, someone died Mr. Kim and it all involved me."

"Son, you have to remember that you cannot save everyone, especially if it is from their own doing. You can't blame yourself for another person's actions. You cannot take responsibility for what they did, you take responsibility for your own."

"How did you become so wise Mr. Kim?" 

"Age does that to you."

"I miss him, Mr. Kim."

"I know. Okay, someone wants to talk to you."

Nine waited for Mr. Kim to pass the phone to his wife.

"Hello, Nine?"

Nine's heart started to pound so hard, he wasn't sure if he would hang up. He can hear the breathing on the other line and he's pretty sure that by the way he was heaving, it can also be heard on the other line. There was silence. He gathered all his courage and answered: "Hello, Chen."