Chapter XXXI

For the first few hours they walked in silence, just listening to the world around them. After the first hour Kila had wanted to start a conversation but she couldn't think of anything to say so she just kept to herself and listened to the sounds of the forest. There was a lot of buzzing noises, and she was sure she had heard some crickets at some point.

Kila looked at the trees, some had moss, and others didn't. Every once and a while there would be a loud smacking noise, coming from somewhere in the distance; Ezra would jump slightly every time it sounded. This made Kila laugh, not because she knew there was something out in the woods that made Ezra jumpy, but because watching him jump was amusing.

When the sun had started to go down and the three moons started peeking over the tree line they decided to stop for the night. They were sitting next to a large lake that seemed to be the center of the forest. Setting up camp for Ezra was digging a hole for a fire pit and pulling out his bedding. No tents, nothing exciting. Kila watched him for a moment as he dug the fire pit, she could see his muscles though his shirt. He paused and looked over at her.

"What?" He asked his eyebrow rose.

"Nothing," Kila said quickly, looking away.

"You want to dig it?" Ezra spoke with a laugh in his voice. Kila shook her head, a grin spreading across her face. "Okay then go find a couple sticks," He paused wiping his brow, "Don't wonder too far." Kila turned and went out towards the edge of camp looking for thin sticks and walked back into the clearing.

"Will these work?" Kila asked holding up the sticks for Ezra to see. He glanced over at her; he was now throwing some pieces of wood into the fire pit and arranging it into a square.

"Yeah," He took a step out of the fire pit and walked over to her, "So, you want to take a knife and strip off all of outer bark and make one side sharp, okay?" Kila nodded, Ezra reached into his pocket and pulled out his knife holding it out to her.

"I got mine," She grinned reaching into her boot and pulling out the hand crafted knife. He looked at it for a second.

"You get that when you were out shopping?" He asked as he headed back to the fire pit and started throwing little green things on it.

"Kinda," Kila smiled as she started to strip the wood, "I was getting a knife for a friend of mine and the shop owner give this to me a as a gift."

"Yeah?" He stepped out of the fire place and placed his hands together. His right hand was flat and horizontal, while the left was in a fist with his knuckles touching the palm of his other hand, his fist facing in. "That's really awesome, his knifes are really expensive." He paused for a moment, as all of the green things he had thrown into the fire started to pop and crackle and after a few seconds had flames. It took a few seconds then the wood caught and it started to make popping noises. "His wares are hand crafted everything from the wood to the steal." Ezra watched the fire for a moment before he picked up the stick that Kila wasn't working on and pulled out his knife. He started to strip it then form it into a point. Kila watched him for a moment before she went back to stripping hers. Ezra made it look so easy. He looked over at her.

"Want me to do that?" Kila shook her head and pulled the knife across the stick again, looking clumsy. Ezra laughed slightly and walked over to his bag, rummaging in it for a moment before he pulled a wax paper package. He pulled the thin brown cord showing that he had raw meat inside. He picked a piece out and slid it into the stick weaving it so it was pretty close before he stuck it into the ground so that the fire licked it. He glanced over at Kila, who had just finished with her stick, and he slid a piece of meat over it as well. He bundled the package back up tying the brown cord and placed it near his bag.