Chapter 1| Discovery

After class, Kendall was walking with a couple of classmates to eat some sweets with

After class, Kendall was walking with a couple of classmates to eat some sweets with. She wasn't expecting a man with short dark brown hair with a scowl waiting outside of the class. He looked somewhere in his early 40's. "Are you done?"

Blinking at the sight, Kendall thought she was seeing things. "Father? What are you doing here?"

Her father sighed through his nose, closing his eyes. "I had to... Tag along last minute. I got a recent gig here as the captain's right hand man."

"You quit your position as Uncle Basilio's champion?!"

"Not really. Basilio ordered me to go with you, and find some temporary work while you're enrolled here."

"Really..?" Kendall knew this was her father's way of keeping an eye on her due to him worrying about her without telling or showing. "But still... I would've never expected you to come here."

"I wanted to inform you that some old guy wanted you to come to his office for a crest check-up. He did it on me, but found nothing." He slightly paused. "...I don't think you have one either, but he insisted."

"A crest? Like the brand Lucina has?"

"It's a bit different, I think."

"Crests are descended from Fódlan's Ten Elites and Four Saints." Annette explained. "They are inherited by blood that came from the War of Heroes."

Still not getting the gist of it, Kendall nodded like she understood anyway. "But the thing is... I doubt I have a crest since I was born and raised elsewhere."

"You'll never know!"

Mercedes looked over towards Kendall's father with a warm smile. "I'm so sorry for not introducing ourselves. I'm one of Kendall's classmates, Mercedes. It's nice to meet you, sir."

"You look so strong!" Annette commented. "Are you a swordsman?!"

For some reason, Kendall's father looked a bit uncomfortable, getting stared at by these doe-eyed girls. Laughing through her nose, Kendall decided to step in. "My father kind of has this thing where women puts him on edge. I heard it used to be much worse than this though."

Slightly blushing, her father grabbed her by the wrist. "Let's go."

"Wait! I was going to hang out with them!"

"Please do not worry, Kendall." Mercedes said. "We can always wait for you when you're done. We'll be in the dining hall which is right over there. Whenever you're done, you can come whenever you want, ok?"

Touched by Mercedes's words, Kendall nodded with a smile. "Thank you so much. I promise I won't be too long."

"Are you done now?" Her father asked, seeming like he wanted to make his escape.