Chapter 12| Millennium Festival

A couple of months has passed since then

   A couple of months has passed since then. It was the day before the Millennium Festival. Most of the students seemed to be in high spirits and in a festive mood despite what had happened in the last mission. Kendall got filled in about the event, learning about making a wish in the Goddess Tower on the night of the ball. If she made it with the one she really wanted to make a wish with, it'll come true.

The Blue Lions students were all gathered in the classroom, discussing about tomorrow's big event.

"This is the only ball of the year." Dimitri said. "Everyone is absurdly excited."

"Your highness, you sound so detached." Dedue spoke up. "We are all encouraged to enjoy the ball tomorrow."

Dimitri let out a sigh. "Right you are. What a burden..."

"Huh. I never thought we'd see eye to eye, but I agree. I rather be swinging my blade than wasting my time with some girl at the ball." Hearing Felix say that, Kendall looked away from him. She expected that kind of response from him, but she really want to enjoy the ball with him. It would be a miracle if she could get him to dance with her, but that's like wanting pigs to fly.

Seeing Kendall's expression, Sylvain spoke up on her behalf. "Felix! Your highness! You must be joking, right? This is our chance to dance with all of the ladies of the academy to our heart's content." He looked straight at Felix. "You wish to throw away the best day of the whole year for sword practice when there's a specific girl that's wanting to dance with you?" Kendall's expression changed from a frown to a blushing mess. She thought he was messing with her on purpose.

Felix clicked his tongue and looked away. "What nonsense."

"I'm pretty excited about the ball myself." Ashe said. "It's not like we get to do these things very often."

"Too true, Ashe." Sylvain agreed. "In fact, I'm gonna do you a favor and give you a crash course in chatting up girls. By tomorrow, you'll be an expert."

"Actually... I'd much prefer if someone could just teach me how to dance."

Sylvain put his arm on Ashe's shoulder. "Who would be your first choice to dance with?"

Ashe's face turned bright red. "No one... Specific..."

"Aw, come on! There has to be someone!" Sylvain saw Ashe's eyes wander towards Kendall, giving him an idea. "Don't you worry! Maybe Kendall will be willing to be your first dance partner of the night. What do you say, Kendall?"

Kendall was baffled by the suggestion. "But I don't even know how to dance formally!"

"A-and I'm afraid I'll step on her feet!" Ashe stuttered, his blush deepening.

"You two are good pals, right?" Sylvain asked. "You two should totally be ok with this even with lack of experience!"

"I-I'm not against dancing with her, but-"