Chapter 19| The Crest of Macuil

Inside her dorm, Kendall was writing a message to her father back in Regna Ferox

Inside her dorm, Kendall was writing a message to her father back in Regna Ferox. She was including all that happened, trying her best to figure out how to word it. She thought having her father come here would be beneficial to winning this war. Even if he couldn't leave his position too long since becoming a Khan recently, she was sure he'll figure out a way.

Hearing a knock on her door, Kendall quickly got up from her chair. Opening the door, she was not expecting to see this person. "Claude?"

"Hey, I gotta favor to ask." Claude mentioned. "Would you like to accompany me on a very important mission?"

"What kind of mission?"

"I need to get my family's relic back. The Sword of Begalta."

"I did my research about that. I learned that it's originally associated by the crest of Riegan, but Macuil has been in possession of it-" Kendall finally realized. "Wait... You know about my..?"

Claude nodded. "I may have done some investigation. I know you have the minor crest of Macuil."

"Even so, wouldn't that be concerning? I've also read that Macuil wasn't fond of humanity. If he finds out I have his crest, he'll kill me, wouldn't he?"

"That's part of my scheme."

"To get me killed?!"

"No, no! I figured two things. You would want to see it with your own eyes. Plus, I need someone to distract him. I think you're perfect for the role."

"Why do you think so?"

"I've been researching about Macuil. It's been said that he can sense crests within people."

"So... You want me to distract him by letting him be aware that I bear his crest. And what?"

"He'll be so aggravated that he won't be paying too much attention to the other party who will attack at his blind spots. And that's how we'll get the Sword of Begalta once we defeat him."

"And you swear that you won't let me die by his wrath, right..?"

"Don't worry, you're not going to die. I know what I'm doing."

Still feeling uncertain, Kendall knew she shouldn't feel afraid. This was a dangerous situation for her, and she couldn't afford to die just yet. There were some people who still needed her. "...Fine. I'll accompany you."

"Glad to hear. We'll be leaving shortly."

"Understood." In the back of her mind, Kendall put a mental note to finish writing the rest of her message to her father later. It was a bazaar thought that she would be facing the saint who shared the same crest as her.

~•~

Arriving in Sreng which was northeast of the kingdom, the party that Claude and Kendall gathered couldn't believe their eyes. In the middle of the sandy wasteland, there was a giant menacing dragon. A strong gust of wind blew in their direction, the wind picked up the sand below, causing a sandy storm to emerge.