One

Demarcus

"Damn Nigga, every time I come in the gym you in the gym

"Damn Nigga, every time I come in the gym you in the gym." My cousin Jamal said to me as he walked in the gym.

We often fight over who has the better body. It's me of course. We always competed with each other especially when it's girl's involved.

"Can't have you one upping me!" I laughed.

"Yeah, whatever." He brushed me off.

Me and Jamal been roommates since we graduated high school. Jamal and I were raised like brothers. I lived with my grandma and my mother. Jamal would get dropped off in the morning before my uncle and aunt went to work.

He's been trying to be like me ever since.

"You got class today?" He asked as he picked up a weight.

"Yeah, just two though." I looked down at my Apple watch and saw I had to hurry up and go upstairs to shower. "Oh, Shit!"

"We going to the court around 6, you coming?"

"Yeah, depending how I feel after class."

"Bet, just hit me!" His chest heaved as he sat the weight back down only after 10. Rookie.

"Will do." I dapped him up.

I grabbed my towel and water bottle and made my way to the elevator.

"Excuse me, young man." An elderly woman tapped me on my shoulder. I took my other air pod out so I could hear her clearly.

"Yes Ma'am?"

"Do you mind helping me takes these bags up to my apartment? I thought I could carry them up there myself. It's a little too much on my back."

I huffed as I glanced at my watch and saw the time. Damn, I don't wanna be rude but I gotta get ready for class.

"Yeah, sure."

As I was about to decline. I heard my grandmother's voice enter my head. Aight I hear you, Grandma. I replied in my head.

The elevator finally opened the doors. We pay all this money to live in this shit and the elevators slow as hell. I grabbed the bags she needed me to carry for her. I kept pressing the close door button as many times as I could.

Thank God, she only lives on the third floor. Me and Mal live on the 8th. We reached her apartment soon as we got off the elevator, it was to the right.