Two

Erica

I am so exhausted from my first day of work but I'm glad the students are so well mannered. It's never easy transitioning into a new class let alone a new school. Pleasantly surprised, the welcome I got from Demarcus. He's a really nice young man. It's good to see some old fashioned values instilled in someone so young.

Soon as I stepped in the house. I took my shoes off immediately. I dropped them by the door. I didn't feel like going upstairs. I heard the sound of sports commentators on the TV.

Lucky me...

My husband, Terrance laid across the couch drinking a beer. Still had his work clothes on. His shirt half open with his tie hanging around his neck. He was definitely in his own world.

Barely noticed I was standing there.

I cleared my throat.

"Oh, Hey Baby!" He got up.

"Heyyy."

He hugged me. I remember when I used to be so in love with this man. I love him but I'm just not in love with him. Something happened between us along the way and I don't know what it is.

Coming home feels like a job in itself.

"How was your day?" He sipped the last swallow of beer.

"It was good. Probably the best first day I've had in a while."

He held me by my shoulders. "That's good, Baby. You know your man is so proud of you." He kissed me. "You feel like cooking? Cause I'm starving."

I glanced at the clock on our cable box and saw it was 6:30. Is he out of his got damn mind? He's been home a whole two hours before I arrived and he wants me to cook?

"Yeah, sure, what do you have a taste for?"

"Whatever you cook, Babe. I'll eat!" He quickly pecked my forehead. "Thanks Babe!" He went and sat back on the couch.

For his sake, I'm only cooking for my daughter because I know she hasn't eaten anything but junk food since she's got home.

Before I started cooking I went upstairs to the bedroom to change my clothes.

This is too much house for me, Terrance and my youngest Briana.

Our oldest two have been on their own since they went away to college in LA. This new salary has Terrance feeling like "Daddy Warbucks". It's all a front for his colleagues and the rest of the new friends he made.