Seventeen

Omniscient

"Okay guys, As you know finals are approaching which means the end of our road unfortunately. You all made my job a lot easier than I was expecting. I'm always nervous stepping into a new school because I'm never too sure how the students will receive me but I lucked up with this bunch." Erica said to her class.

It's always been bittersweet for her at the end of a semester. She feels like a mother saying goodbye to her children. Everyone of her students has made an impression on her.

"Ms. E, you are one of the best teachers we had. We hated Mr. Wilson." Dashuan said which made the class erupt in laughter.

"Thank you, Dashaun. That's very sweet of you." As Erica looked at him. She couldn't help but notice the empty seat next to him where Demarcus would normally be seated. He hadn't texted her to say he wasn't coming. He never even called her back after the last message she left about them needing to talk.

He had been showing up so late at her apartment. That the only things for them to do would be having sex and sleeping.

"Dashaun have you or anyone else seen or heard from Demarcus?" She asked. Everyone shook their heads. Her guess was just as good as theirs.

Erica's worry about him has increased tremendously over the past few weeks ever since she learned about his job. She knows how dangerous these kinds of situations can be no matter how sweet the deal might be. She lost her older brother to the streets when she was in college. She didn't want that for Demarcus.

He had too much promise.

She ended class early to give her students time to get started on their last essays. As she was in her office getting ready for her lunch break. A knock on her door stopped her from shutting down her computer.

"Come in." She answered.

"Erica." David revealed himself as he opened the door. He had a bouquet of flowers in his hand. She wasn't expecting him but she knew eventually the courting would start. So she would agree to the date he so desperately wants with her.

"David!" She smiled as she got up from her seat. She pulled her dress down as it had rolled up from her sitting. She didn't have time to fix everything that was a little off. She wanted to look a little presentable.

"Were you busy?" He asked.

"No not at all. I was just on my way out to get some lunch. That's all."

"Me too, I got a lunch meeting to go to. I wanted to stop in and give you these." He handed her the bouquet of Orchids. She was taken back. She expected them to be roses.

"These are beautiful. Thank you, David." She smiled widely.

"You're welcome."

"Umm, listen about that date if the offer is still open I would like to." She smiled.

It felt weird but she felt good about it. She was tired of sitting at home. With Demarcus's disappearing acts what was a woman to do? The first time in her life she had control over it.

"It is still open and I'm glad. There's this gala coming up for all the black elites Atlanta this weekend and I could use a beautiful woman on my arm. If that's okay with you?"