Twenty Three

Boy, you make me feel so beautiful
And I ain't never gonna let you go
People say this ain't how it's supposed to go
But I refuse to believe 'cause it happened to me

One day you're standing in the middle of the world
And you don't where you're goin'
All of a sudden your whole life change
Then life finally gives you somethin' back
It's been a mean world without you

Boy, I love ya, I love ya
Nivea| Complicated

The Next Day

Omniscient

Balloons, banners and bunch of other extreme decorations for Briana's graduation filled Terrance's huge backyard. Family and friends all gathered to celebrate this joyous occasion.

Though it is a joyous occasion. Erica is the opposite of joyous at the moment. She's anxious and can't fully relax. Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off to distract herself from any and everybody, including her mother.

"Erica, will you sit down. You're making me dizzy." Tammy said as she sat at a table on the deck.

"I will in a minute."

"No, you will now." Tammy got up from her seat and pulled her cousin by the arm to join her. "What is this about? Why aren't you enjoying yourself?"

"I don't know... I guess I'm just worried about when Demarcus gets here. What is everyone going to think. That's all I've been hearing in passing conversations... 'I can't wait to meet this mystery man Erica's been dating' via your mother to mine." Erica gave her a look.

"Child, you know our mothers are gonna do what they do best. That's why I barely tell mine what's going on in my life." She sipped whatever mixed concoction she had in her red cup. "Here, calm your nerves." She handed Erica the cup.

Erica shrugged and took a sip. Whatever it was, it was strong. Burning as it went down her throat but she took another sip. At the moment she needs all of the liquid courage she gets.

"Though, I don't like your baby daddy. I must say he's been a great dad. He did the damn thing with this party," Tammy pointed her finger. "But that's all I'm gonna give him."

Erica giggled.

"Ma, look who we found as we pulled up." Morgan said as she stepped out of the patio door. Trailing behind her was Demarcus.

"Hey, Tammy. How are you?" He greeted her.

"Hi Demarcus," she sang as she made googly eyes at Erica. "I'm good how are you?"

"Couldn't be better actually." His eyes directed towards Erica.

The liquor calmed her but she still had the same worry despite everything.

"Come on Maddy and Morgan, let's leave your mama alone." Tammy got up from her seat. The three of them walked away.

Leaving Erica and Demarcus alone.

He sat in the chair next to her. He placed his hand on her thigh. "Hey, love. You look beautiful today." He kissed her cheek.