Eighteen

Demarcus

"Demarcus, Come over here." Senator Richardson called for me as I was standing by myself sipping on this expensive ass champagne. I probably shouldn't be drinking after that night I had a couple days ago. I still can't believe how fucked up I got. Drunk calling and texting Erica like a damn dummy.

"Demarcus, these are a few friends of mine. Mr & Mrs. Taylor, their son attends the university as well." He said with that wide ass smile he has.

"Nice to meet you, Mr & Mrs. Taylor." I stuck my hand out to shake theirs.

"Demarcus, you must be a really exceptional young man to have a great man like Senator Richardson paying for you to finish your education!" Mrs. Taylor said. Only if everybody in this room knew what this nigga was really doing.

"Yeah, I'm really grateful for him. He's become a mentor to me."

"That's great! I'm pretty sure you'll have job offers through the roof. If he writes you some recommendation letters." Mr. Taylor said.

I grinned and nodded.

"I believe it is important to always reach a hand back and help out the young men and women. Who deserve a second chance at life. Demarcus was an injured athlete. The weight of that made him drop out of school and more weight added as he wanted to return to school. No money, his mother and grandma had just passed in a terrible car crash." Senator Richardson placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked at the faces of Mr & Mrs. Taylor who had the look of pity.

Like I'm little orphan Demarcus and Senator Richardson is my savior.

"It was nice meeting you two." I said as I saw my friend Kevin standing by the champagne fountain. He's the one who got me hooked up in this shit. "Kev, where the hell have you been? I've been drowning in all these long drawn out conversations with all these boujee people!"

"I know my bad. My barber had to get me in late. I had to take it. I couldn't roll up in here looking scruffy giving them more shit to talk about." He straightened his suit.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"Man, I just got here and this shit is boring as fuck. Where is the DJ? I didn't know black people listened to classical music."

I shook my head and laughed.

"Kev, you know it's more to music than the Migos and Young Dolph."

"I know. I switch it up from time to time and throw in a little R&B here and there."

I nodded.

"Psst, you two!" Mr. Richardson's daughter Dana got our attention. "You need to help pass out these." She held up a box of pins with Senator Richardson face plastered on it with his lame ass slogan. I huffed and placed my glass on the table.

This is going to be a long ass night.

~

Me and Kevin posted up the bar. There were a lot of people standing around waiting for their drinks. It was no rush. Me and Kevin made jokes about some of the older men here with women younger than us. Wondering if they still had game or not.