Twelve

Erica

"Girl, will you call that damn man and stop being so stubborn," Tammy said to me as she rolled her eyes. "You know he's waiting."

It's been two weeks since he professed his love for me. I haven't seen him outside of class. He's been calling me but I never pick up the phone. The calls usually are followed by a text of him asking did he do something wrong. I make up some shitty excuse for why I can't talk.

"T, I can't do this. Maybe he and I should just call it quits." I shrugged, not really believing the words coming out of my mouth.

Tammy grabbed the pillow next to her. "I should take this pillow and smother you with it!" She threatened. "You know damn well you don't want that. Why the hell are you making this so hard?"

"Because I have never done anything like this before," I whined as I laid back into the couch. "At first it was just me worried about me losing my job. I mean I still am worried but not as much. I can't believe that he really wants to be with me. I thought it was just about the sex for the both of us and now it turned into love."

I sipped my wine.

Everything in my life has been practical or ruled by logic. I never suspected the one illogical and unpractical thing in my life to be a situation like this. I love him. Only God knows how much I do. I had been juggling with describing the way had been feeling about him for months. I couldn't put a name on it.

"Okay, I'm still not understanding the issue. What's the problem with loving him and being with him?" She raised an eyebrow.

"It's not right. This isn't supposed to be happening."

"Erica, says who? The world is changing. Look at Kris Jenner.... her boyfriend is the same age as one of her kids. So what?" she held her hands up. "You know I never was one to give two fucks about what people think about me even if something wasn't acceptable. You need to do the same! You are finally free from that ass hole! You need to start living for Erica."

She's right but I wanna be right too.

I sighed heavily. "You're right, you're right. What should I do?"

"Call him and tell him you came to your senses and then fuck the shit out of him. Simple." she smiled.

I shook my head and laughed. "You are a mess."

"I know but you love me." She dived on me and squeezed me tightly into a hug as if she was a small child.

~

I stared at myself for a good ten minutes. This is like the 5th lingerie I've tried on. I have no clue why I even went to Victoria's Secret and made all this fuss. I haven't worn one in years. If I did, the night turned out to be a bust.

I listened to Tammy's advice and went on and bit the bullet. I called Demarcus as soon as she left. He answered me on the first ring. I don't even think I had a chance to fully click his contact. He showed up right away. He's even cooking dinner for us tonight.

I am pleasantly surprised.

"Queen, what's taking you so long?" He called out from the kitchen.