Twenty Four (Part Two)

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'cause you believed
I'm everything I am

Because you loved me
Céline Dion| Because You Loved Me

Omniscient

Erica got to the hospital as fast as she could. Restless during the drive. She didn't want to think the worst but how could she not with Jamal giving her little details as to what was going on.

She stood at the receptionist desk scanning the waiting room for Jamal. Everything moved so fast. She couldn't focus on anything.

"Ma'am, can I help you?" The receptionist asked, seeing her in distress.

"Umm, I'm here to see someone."

"Name?"

"Demarcus Simmons."

She typed a few things in. Erica waited momentarily.

"He's still in surgery but if you take the elevator to the third floor. That's the waiting room for ICU patients."

"Thank you."

ICU? Nothing good could come from those words. On the ride up she tried to keep her mind as positive as possible. If was taking everything in her not to break down. She felt like this happening was some bad omen against their relationship. Everything had been so smooth between them.

Now this.

"Erica!" Jamal called out once he saw her stepped off of the elevator. He motioned his hand for her to join him.

"Jamal, thanks for calling me. I got here as fast as I could."

"Of course."

"What happened to him?"

Jamal pulled her to sit down next to him. She thought she looked bad, he looked even worse.

"We were leaving a party heading to our next stop. We were talking in a big group next thing I know a car came down the street and just started blasting," He looked off into the distance, reliving it. "We all scattered and ducked and shit. I thought he moved with the rest of us. Until everything stopped and we saw him lying there."

Erica tucked her lips, holding back her tears. "Was he awake?"

"Yeah, for a good while. I talked to him and me and our other friend stopped the bleeding as much as we could until the ambulance got there." Jamal punched his hand. "I should've made sure he was with us."

Erica patted his back. "Don't beat yourself up about it. You did all you can. Bullets don't have a name on them. Even if he did run, it still could've happened."

He nodded.

"He wanted you to hear this." He pulled his phone from his jacket. He pulled up the voice memo. "I'll give you a minute."