Chpt 3: Just What is Lila Planning?

"Hi, Max!" said Lila, greeting him at the front door of her home with one kiss on the cheek.  Max blushed, partly since he was still getting used to Lila kissing him on the cheek, and partly because Lila's older cousin, Maya, was watching them from her chair in the living room.  Lila's kisses always seemed to make him blush now as it definitely didn't feel like the normal, kiss on the cheek friend greeting.  At least it didn't seem that way to Max. He'd spent his first day off from school mapping out his relationship plan for the summer. He was really hoping to get to spend a lot of time with Lila this summer to see whether he was right about Lila's feelings behind those kisses!

"Hi, Lila. Maya.  Are we going to get to start working on the research today?  I'm really excited!" he said, eagerly looking between the two.  Maya returned his eager look with an expressionless gaze and then started writing in a notebook. Lila motioned for him to come in and Max followed her into the living room.

"Unfortunately, we've hit a little snag with the funding," said Lila.  Max frowned and was about to ask if he could help when Lila interrupted brightly with "But, don't worry Max, I know I can help get the money together.  My family knows a lot of business people and I'm sure one of them will love to help!  Maya already signed a lease for the space and they were willing to give us a few more days to get the first three months of rent together.  So, you and Maya can meet together here while I go talk to one of the potential funders.  Alright?  I'm going to head out now and I'll be back for lunch.  Maybe we can all go out to the café down the block when I get back?" She smiled brightly at Max and Maya. Maya gave Lila a tight lipped smile in reply, while Max grinned back at Lila.

Lila grabbed her purse off of a hook by the door and then turned around.  "You two make yourselves comfortable and I'll see you soon!" and then she bustled out the door.

Max glanced over at Maya.  As much as he was excited to get to do some research this summer, something about Maya always seemed a bit off to him.  Maybe it was because she was always observing him so closely.  That's enough to make anyone uncomfortable! he thought.

He walked over to the couch and cleared his throat before saying "May I sit down?"

Maya nodded from her chair without looking at him and then returned to furiously scribbling in her notebook. Max sat down on the couch, resigned to the awkward silence. I might as well write down my thoughts until Lila gets back. He pulled a notebook and pencil out of his bag. But, if Maya wasn't going to talk to him, this was going to be a long summer!

- - -

Lila stepped up to the gate outside the Agreste mansion, going over in her mind just what she wanted to say to Mr. Agreste when she met with him.  She looked up at the house remembering all of the plans she once had to make Adrien her boyfriend and get herself intertwined in his family with the hopes that all of this, and the celebrity attached to the family, would one day be hers.  But, then the plans she set in motion to get herself paired with Adrien on that project were ruined.  By who, she didn't know.  She had changed Ms. Bustier's partner's list so she was paired with Adrien instead of Kim. But, the next day when Ms. Bustier read out the names, she was shocked that Adrien was paired with Marinette!  And them being partners led to Marinette becoming Adrien's girlfriend and not her!  But, in the end her being paired with Max was what fate intended and now she knew why.  She now knew all that was in her future, thanks to Maya.  And, it was so much better!

She walked a few steps to the side of the gate and pressed the intercom button.  The speaker made a noise, like someone was on the other end, but no voice could be heard.  "Hi!  I'm Lila Rossi and I have an appointment with Mr. Agreste regarding a business proposition," she said confidently.  She knew that if she could get in to see him, there was no way that he wouldn't agree to her deal.