Chpt 48: Tying Up Loose Threads.

Nathalie stood in Gabriel's office looking out the window.  She was completely recovered from her mysterious illness.  No doctor or nurse she talked to knew what had happened to her, except that she had been having these bad coughing spells, followed by some dizzy spells, and then she fell into a coma.  "A virus", everyone said. She very much doubted that.  The symptoms were too familiar to her, being exactly like what had happened to Emilie.  But, she hadn't used the Peacock for her own transformation, had she? She had no memory of it.  However, the Peacock didn't appear to be anywhere in the house.  She'd searched absolutely every inch of the house when she returned.  She'd noted the destroyed tree and empty casket- perhaps Ladybug and Cat Noir were somehow involved in that and Gabriel's disappearance?  A number of items were missing from Gabriel's office, but from what she could understand from Gorilla, Gabriel had been having violent fits where he destroyed whatever was near him. She wondered how much Gabriel suffered while she was away.  Nathalie had also walked through Adrien's room, noting the items that were missing that Adrien had presumably taken with him.  She felt sad that he was no longer at home and also wondered what had happened between father and son to cause Adrien to move out.  She had missed so much and had been left with too many unanswered questions.

Her eye caught the two teenagers walking through the gate and toward the house.  She headed to the foyer and opened the door for them.

"Adrien.  Marinette.  Welcome," she said.  "Should we talk in the dining room?"

Nathalie noticed that the two both gave a quick glance toward that room before returning to meet her eyes.

"Could we . . . could we talk somewhere else?" asked Adrien, remembering his last meeting with his father in that room that had ended so badly.

"Alright.  Where would you—" Nathalie started, but was interrupted by Adrien.

"How about my room?  My best memories of this house were made in there."

Nathalie nodded and led them upstairs, into his room, and then indicated that they sit on the couch.  Adrien sat and then looked up at her expectantly, wondering just what she was going to say.  He took the hand Marinette offered and then tried a calming breath to reduce his feelings of nervousness.

"So, Adrien.  I am sorry to tell you that your father has disappeared.  No one knows where he is," said Nathalie.

"What?" he asked, trying his best to sound concerned and surprised.

"I don't want you to worry, though.  I'm sure he is fine.  I wanted you to know that today I plan to contact the police and file a missing person's report.  I hadn't yet let anyone know that he was missing, as I wanted to make sure I followed every possible avenue to find him first.  No one at the fashion house knows he's missing either. I've just been carrying out his work from the notes left in his files.  While I was searching through his files looking for clues as to where he might be, I also found a change to his will that he never filed.  The two of you must have had quite the fight as he disinherited you. However, since he never gave it to his lawyer, I'm sure that is not what he intended.  While I believe in my heart that your father will be found, I want you to know that everything that your father built will go to you if it comes to that.  I don't want you to worry."

Adrien stood up, fisting his hands at his sides. "I'm not sure that I want it," he said, tears in his eyes.  Marinette stood up next to him and put her arm around his waist.  "At least, if it ever comes to it, I don't want this house.  It's not my home.  And I . . . I don't know about the rest of everything.  A lot's happened," he said.

Nathalie couldn't help feeling shocked.  What happened while I was gone? she thought for the thousandth time.  "Okay.  You think about it and I will, too.  I will help you in any way that I can, Adrien."