Chpt 43: A Lot of Second Chances.

When the elevator stopped, Lady Viper and Cheval Noir stepped out of it, headed to the left, and joined Rena and Carapace. They all made sure to stay safely behind Rena's illusion.

"Anything to update us with?" asked Cheval Noir quietly, taking note of a shadowed figure near the casket that he presumed was his father.

"Have you been able to tell if he has my—?" added Lady Viper.

"Actually, your father hasn't done much," said Rena, interrupting her to answer Cheval Noir.

"And, we haven't been able to see him very well, Ladybug," said Carapace in answer to her unfinished question while forgetting to use her new name. "We wanted to wait for you guys before getting any closer."

Lady Viper looked down at her bracelet. Another minute had already passed! They didn't have much time! "Well, we don't have any time to lose! I'll stay here; you get closer and see what we are up against," she said. They all nodded and the three superheroes were about to move when they heard menacing laughter.

"Is Ladybug afraid to confront me?" asked Gabriel as he started walking in the direction of the voices he could clearly hear, but not see. "Just like last time when she sent her 'Kitty' by himself," he said with a sneer, referring to the one on one confrontation he and Cat Noir had not that many months ago.

Anger started to bubble up inside Cheval Noir at hearing his father call him the same name that Ladybug did, but with such condescension rather than love. He took one step forward but Lady Viper put her hand on his arm and shook her head at him. He clenched his fists but nodded and stepped back.

"I believe it's always been you have been afraid to confront me, Gabriel," she called back, insulting him by using his weaker, given name and making it obvious that she knew his secret identity while he didn't know hers. "You used so many others to attack me, but rarely fought me face to face!"

Gabriel growled and started to stride angrily across the walkway. When he came into the light they all gasped.

"Uh-oh," said Cheval Noir. "You mentioned Plagg was upset about Tikki, do you think . . .?" He trailed off. He took in his father's outfit: black, slim suit pants, black trench coat belted at the waist that turned into a tail at the back, black Oxfords, with a black hooded and eared mask. And the Cat Miraculous ring on a finger of his father's right hand.

"Yes, he came back," said Lady Viper grimly. "I think your father has activated your Miraculous."

Gabriel started laughing menacingly again. "You are correct. And, just as I suspected, I have unlimited access to its powers. My super hearing has allowed me to hear all that you have said and I can cataclysm as many times as I want without recharging as you children need to," he said disparagingly.

Cheval Noir looked around and realized a number of the railings that used to line the walkways were now gone. Apparently his father had been busy trying out his new power!

"You may as well come out and fight me. It will be over quickly and I can then remove Ladybug's earrings from her. No need for a game of cat and mice," said Gabriel.

"So, he doesn't have your earrings!" mouthed Cheval Noir to Lady Viper. "You better stay hidden then, so he doesn't find out," he continued.

She nodded and then gave the signal to all three of her friends who burst through the wall together to attack Gabriel as a team and she glanced at her bracelet. Two minutes!

Cheval Noir ran down the metal bridge toward his father, attacking him by throwing his horseshoe weapon, which Gabriel easily brushed aside using his stick. The horseshoe began to fly back toward Cheval Noir and he caught it, wondering what he should try next. He squeezed his fists at his side and stood defiantly facing his father.