Chpt 42: Maya Makes Her Decision.

"So, do you agree with my conclusions?" Max asked Maya as Maya finished reading the last of the research related to time and time travel that Max had compiled.

Maya pushed back her chair and stood up, stretching her muscles. She touched the top of the holographic projector she had managed to fix while reading. Tinkering always helped her to concentrate. "Yes, I agree with you as far as these hypotheses can predict what will really happen. But, I've decided that no matter the consequences to me I can't do this to Ma . . . I mean, Ladybug. And Paris. And really, there is nothing for me at home."

"But, I am there! Well, grandfather me is. Won't you miss me? Er, him?" asked Max, craning his neck to catch Maya's eyes.

Maya returned his gaze. "No. You and my grandfather are not really the same. I won't miss him, but I would miss you." She cleared her throat awkwardly as she felt herself becoming too sentimental. "Anyway, I've decided to give the earrings back to Ladybug," she said as she turned and gathered up her bag. "I just need to find her now." Maya wondered just how she was going to do that.

"Tracker?" came a tiny voice from her shirt. She quickly spun to face Max to see if he had heard that, but he was already back to reading something on his computer screen.

How could she have forgotten about the tracker? But, is it still working? Maya pulled her phone out of her pocket and brought up the tracker app. As soon as it loaded it showed a little blinking dot on the screen. So, the tracker is still working! I wouldn't have expected it to last this long! She zoomed in on the location and gasped when she saw where Marinette was. The little red and black spotted creature was right- she had left Marinette defenseless! She needed to hurry. She grabbed her bag and put the one holographic projector in beside the freeze gun. Unfortunately, she'd only had time to fix the one while she read. It would have to do.

"Max, I've got to go! I hope I'll see you again soon!" said Maya as she rushed out the door, letting the door slam behind her.

"Oh. Bye, May . . . ah. I guess she's already gone," said Max to himself. He returned to staring at an article on how to break up with your lying girlfriend. While he and Lila weren't technically boyfriend and girlfriend, they had spent a lot of time with each other and he needed advice on how to separate from her and what to tell his friends. He still couldn't help from feeling sad and betrayed and disappointed by Lila, but at least he had a new friend and relative in Maya. He sighed and started reading the advice, hoping everything would work out for Maya.

- - -

Maya pulled on the gates that led to the Agreste mansion. When they wouldn't open she shook them fiercely in her frustration. She then saw the button to the right of the gate and pushed it. When no one answered she pushed the button again and again as she tried to decide how she could get into the fortress-like mansion. Maya opened her bag and peered down at the little creature. "What should I do? I don't know how to get in! How can I help Ladybug if I can't get to her?!" She felt tears prickling her eyes. What if she was too late?! What if Gabriel had already hurt Marinette?! It would be completely her fault! She dropped her bag and turned around, sliding her back down the gate and then resting her head on her knees once she sat down.

Tikki tentatively stuck her head out of Maya's shirt to examine the young woman. She did seem genuinely distraught. Tikki knew how Maya could get in, but should she risk telling her?

"Can I trust you?" Tikki asked Maya eventually.

Maya turned her head down toward Tikki and nodded.

"You promise that you no longer desire the Miraculous? You are going to give it back no matter what? And you will do anything to help Ladybug?" said Tikki.