Chapter 2

I sat at the edge of a bridge overlooking a lake. I examined the paper Sasuke had given me. "What could he possibly need to say that he couldn't just tell Sasuke?" I broke the seal and read the contents, my heart sank making me burn the paper. "Stupid Uchiha."

I stood and thought for a moment. "He shouldn't have made it yet if I hurry..." I dashed into the thicket. What are you doing, kid?

I can't let him do this.

Looks like he made his choice...

It's the wrong one. I shoved the fox into the background and continued forward. I told you not to do anything stupid. It took three hours of running full speed, but I finally found him. I leaped from a tree, and my fist connected with his jaw.

He looked stunned. "Wha-"

I hit him again. "You made a promise. Is this how you keep it? A suicide mission?"

He grabbed my fist on the next swing. "You weren't supposed to find out yet."

That only made me angrier, and I kicked his side, making him release me. "First, I'm going to kick your ass. Then, we are going to have a discussion with Hiruzen."

I swung again, and he dodged. "Chihiro..." He blocked my next punch and grabbed my wrist. "Stop."

I struggled, so he wrapped both my arms around me and pinned my legs with his. "The Akatsuki, Itachi? Do you even know who they are?"

He tightened his grip as I struggled some more. "No... will you calm down?"

I huffed. "Won't be so easy when I get out of this kid sized body."

He gave a weak chuckle. "That's not happening. How did you know where I was going?"

I tried to get free again. "I've been tracking that group for a while. In any case, infiltration is not necessary. Let me go."

He hesitated before releasing me. "I don't have a choice..."

I frowned at him, thinking of punching his face again. "Now you do, I'll give Hiruzen what he wants. Come back to the Leaf with me."

He sighed. "I can't... I've already been labeled as a rogue."

I hit him again. "Stupid ass Uchiha. Let's go." When he didn't follow, I turned back to him. "So... are we forgetting our promise or what?"

He shook his head. "That's the reason I have to go."

I frowned. "Fight me then... if you win, then you may do as you please. If not, you only have a few days til the graduation anyway."

He frowned. "Why are you being so persistent?"

I thought for a moment. "What they are asking... it will get you killed. I would be very sad if you died."

He thought a moment. "Is that all?"

I tilted my head. "What do you mean? Wouldn't you be sad if I died?"

He lowered his gaze. "Among other things..."

I looked at him curiously. What does he mean? "So... do we need to fight or what?"

He blinked at me. "If that's the only way you'll let me do this, then yes."

I rolled my eyes. He is really making me angry. "Fine." He activated his Sharingan as I jumped back, preparing for his attack. We stood for a while. "You gonna do something?"

He waited silent, so I charged. He prepared for a head-on attack, but I jumped over him and threw a kick at his back. He was gone before I made contact, and I blocked his punch. As I jumped back, he sent fire my way.

I threw out a hand to form a wall of ice, then shattered it, sending the shards in his direction. He dodged them all and came at me with blinding speed. Why is he fighting so hard just to die? I formed another barrier, and he flipped back.

Doesn't he want to go home? I blinked at him before teleporting behind him. I charged my palm with chakra and barely hit him in his arm. I frowned and bent it in his direction. He took some steps before pausing. "Why do you want me to go back? For Naruto and Sasuke?"

I froze. Not just them... "I don't understand your question. Konoha is your home..." I felt his disapproval with my response as he activated the Mangekyo Sharingan. I frowned and avoided his eyes. Why, Itachi?

I closed my eyes to avoid being trapped in his genjutsu. I centered myself, listening for his steps and his breathing, sensing his signature. As the image formed in my mind, I felt him coming. To untrained eyes, our next movements were a blur, strikes, dodges, and counters in quick succession.

As I flipped backward, I felt him pause again. "You're not using your threads... isn't that what you're known for?"

I looked at the ground. "I don't want to hurt you, Itachi."

Suddenly, I felt a surge of chakra. "To get what you want... you may have to." What does he want from me...

I met his eyes, activating my own Sharingan. "No, it won't come to that." We battled again. This time, I was countering whatever jutsu he threw at me. He threw kunai, and I deflected with shuriken, I felt another surge of chakra, and he was behind me. He pinned me to a tree by my neck and was about to deal the final blow.

I deactivated the duojutsu and looked in his eyes, relaxed. You won't hurt me either... He hesitated at my thoughts, and I felt a flood of emotions. I let my hands fall to my sides as I waited. "Why should I go back? There's nothing for me there."

I didn't break eye contact. "Then don't, but also don't fall into the hands of the Akatsuki. I... you deserve better."

His eyes returned to their normal onyx color. "You were certain I wouldn't harm you."

I smiled. "I know you, Itachi. And I'm sorry. I've asked a lot of you over the years and given nothing in return."

He released me, and I fell to the ground, rubbing my neck. "I had my reasons... Chihiro?"

I looked up at the softness of his tone. "Hmmm?"

I saw a flicker of something in his eyes, but he quickly masked it. "Let's go home." He held his hand out to me and waited.

I smiled at him, grabbing it. "Hn." He didn't let go when I was on my feet, but walked in the direction of the village. I looked down at our hands and tilted my head. He seemed not to notice, so I shrugged it off. If this is what makes you happy... then I won't conplain...