Chapter 13

I watched proudly as a dozen Naruto ran about. "Good job, but you don't need so many."

They all beamed at me. "This is so cool!"

I sighed. "Enough for now, at least you will get through graduation, I suppose."

He nodded, and his clones vanished in a puff of smoke. "I deserve Ramen!"

I shook my head. "No can do, you can't occupy all of my time, Naruto."

He frowned. "But Sis..."

I gave him a stern look. "Don't whine. I taught you this jutsu in the absence of the others."

He pouted. "But it was training, and you're not exactly nice when you train people."

I rolled my eyes. "Minato has really spoiled you."

He looked at me curiously. "Why don't you call him Dad?"

I shrugged. "He's my father... but he was Minato first. Why?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. So, I guess I'll see you later?" I nodded. "Fine." He sighed.

I watched him disappear in the distance before I turned in the opposite direction. Strange... Itachi hasn't shown up at all... I stopped realizing the direction my feet were taking. Why would I go find him? He'll show up...

I changed directions and went into the village, trying to figure out how to use my time. I stopped when an old building came into view. "It's still standing?" I pulled out the key and entered.

A wave of nostalgia hit me, and my chest ached as I walked in slowly, locking the door behind me. I ran my fingers over the shelves. "I suppose I am taller." I stopped at the counter and eyed a picture sitting on it. It was a younger me sitting on top of a piano playing a flute with Makoto at the keys.

I sighed. "I miss you, old man." I stared at the picture, remembering the day. Who knew, so soon after... my entire life would take a turn. I shook the thought and went into the back. I was surprised to see that even the grand piano was still in good condition. "Isamu must have kept the place up."

I sat and ran my fingers over the keys. "Still in tune..." I mindlessly began to play whatever came to mind. Soon, I was wrapped in my own thoughts and emotions, and my surroundings faded into the background. I began singing along with my songs falling farther into my own world. Seems I can feel things...

I recalled a conversation I had a lifetime ago. A shinobi has to mask their emotions. A musician lays them out for all to see... Makoto... did you give me the key to my problem all those years ago? I noticed a motion in my peripheral and automatically threw a kunai in its direction.

"Hey!" My weapon missed its target as he dodged.

I blinked. "What are you doing here? How did you get in?"

Itachi pulled the knife out of the wall. "I have a key, helped to keep the place up."

I frowned. Why? "And you're here because?"

He approached. "I heard the music... I didn't mean to scare you." I stared at him. "You're... really good."

I looked at the piano. "I perform as a cover sometimes..." I automatically scooted in the bench as he sat beside me. "I forgot to put up a barrier."

He shrugged. "You can keep playing, I won't disturb you."

I looked at him curiously. "Why?"

He paused. "You... seemed to enjoy it. I..."

I kept my eyes on his. "You?"

He shook his head. "Nothing."

I stood. "Liar."

He grabbed my hand. "Don't-"

I tried to pull away, but he didn't let go, much to my annoyance. "What do you want from me, Itachi?"

He looked lost. "I just... you looked like your old self." I raised an eyebrow. "I don't know."

I sighed. "I let my guard down. It was reckless. I should go."

He frowned. "I'm here if anything happens."

I pulled my hand from his. "I can't be so careless."

His frown deepened. "Why do you always shut yourself off?"

I paused. "What?"

He sighed. "When you were playing... I could tell you felt it, but now it's like... you just closed yourself off."

I moved toward the door. "I don-"

He was suddenly in front of me. "Chihiro, you don't have to hide from me."

I took a step back. "I'll ask you this one more time. What do you want?" I saw the conflict in his eyes. "Then, I'm leaving."

He grabbed my arm as I tried to pass, causing me to swing towards him. "I want for you to trust me. I can protect you if your guard is down."

I looked in his eyes and quickly averted my gaze. He's really close. "Please let me go."

He didn't budge. "Why?"

My breathing was becoming shallow. "Release my arm."

I felt him move closer. "Why?"

I stiffened. What do I do? I tried to pull my arm away and swung another one when he didn't let go. Instantly, I was backed into the piano as he grabbed my wrist. "Itachi..."

He lowered his forehead to mine. "Look at me." I reluctantly met his eyes, feeling his emotions when our skin touched. This is overwhelming. I was frozen, trapped in his gaze as heat rose to my cheeks. "I know you can feel how I feel."

I became aware that I was trembling and tried to relax. "Yes."

He was searching my eyes for something. "I won't hurt you... I just want you to trust me... for now."

I closed my eyes. "I know."

He released my arms but otherwise didn't move. "Will you stay?"

I couldn't make my body move, and my face was on fire. "Step back... please." I can't breathe.

I felt his finger stroke my cheek, and I really did stop breathing. "I remember when I first saw you blush..." He spoke softly as though lost in his thought.

I opened my eyes and tried to take a breath as a new wave of emotions drowned me. What is this? "Itachi..."

His eyes refocused on mine. "Stay and enjoy yourself... you're safe."

I'm never safe...

"You are with me." I stopped breathing again as I felt him move closer. "Breathe, Chihiro." Easy for you to say...